1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

XJ750 Seca

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Mark R, Feb 28, 2020.

1. Mark R

Mark R New Member

Lads my Seca 750 is firing on 2 cylinders only
    Any suggestions
    Also where on the bike is the toolkit located
    Thanks guys

2. kerriskandiesinc

kerriskandiesinc Active Member

Coil would be the first check, coils fire 1-4, other coil fires 2-3 but its a wasted spark system so coil(s) always fire all 4.....

Coils are under tank, bolted to frame, near headstock end!

You COUD swap plugs and then plug leads, to determine if the culprit is either plugs or coil?

Toolkit, if you still have the factory one, would be either under the seat, or possibly someone put it into the little 'bike lock' cubby that XJ's have, down by the swingarm/shaft drive boot.......

At the very least, unless you have done so, check plugs, then coils, then carbs.......unlikely two carbs are blocked, but it does happen !!

3. Mark R

Mark R New Member

Thanks for that I’ll locate the tools and hope there’s a plug spanner in it
    Then ill check the plugs
    1and2 from left to right as you sit on the bike are firing

4. Nuch

Nuch Well-Known Member

Need a bit more info. To your knowledge, was it running fine and now the "no fire" issue on two cylinders is a new condition? Are you able to loosen (remove) the drain bowl screws to see if you're getting fuel? When I have an issue with a cylinder not firing, I like to check the fuel situation first. It's just a preference of mine, but more often than not, I've found my non-firing problem to be a float that was stuck in the up position (closed), therefore not feeding fuel into the bowl.

Simmy likes this.
  5. kerriskandiesinc

1-2 then that probably rules out the coils/electrical....still check the plugs, there was a plug spanner in the original toolkit, if not these are easily obtained, from a Halfords or the like

Fuel.....deffo check fuel, as above poster

6. Mark R

Mark R New Member

Thanks lads I’ll check the plugs first then the bowls

7. Mark R

Mark R New Member

Lads what size plug spanner do I need?

8. kerriskandiesinc

Its an old s skool, 14MM ....sometimes another socket, in your socket set MIGHT fit, but you really need an extension for the inside ones......

Dont over tighten, either......I put 'em in dry, others prefer a light coat of grease, etc....

If you're changing them, I prefer NGK 99% of the time...be careful, NGK plugs are appearing that are NOT NGK, and are made in China, I've used ND ( Nippon Denso) in the past, decent plug.....maybe Bosch at a pinch....Halfords used to sell bike plugs, but..not lived in the UK for 20 years, lol !!

9. kerriskandiesinc

You'll not get the bowls off without removing the carbs.....I've done it ONCE, using a 45 degree JIS screwdriver, but it was NOT easy, and I was lucky I didn't round off the float bowl screws.....if yours have drain plugs, try a quick n dirty drain, plug shoot copious amounts of carb cleaner up the hole ( oooerr missus....lol) also tapping the float bowls CAREFULLY with a socket bit, might 'loosen' a sticking float.....

10. Mark R

Mark R New Member

Thanks for that most appreciate your time and effort
    I’ll have a go and let you know I get on

kerriskandiesinc likes this.
  11. kerriskandiesinc

Its ok, being lazy today, recovering from my recent 600+ miler....well, I did used to be a bike courier, but haven't ridden much distance lately, and in my defence I am 60, lol !!

12. Mark R

Mark R New Member

600 miles? Awesome
    From where to where?

13. kerriskandiesinc

Oh, I was out doing deliveries, roundtrip, over 2 days, so from Long Island, to CT, near the Mass border, then onto upstate NY, then into NJ, near the PA border, then back to Long Island, NY.....

Hey, we had 54 degree days, last Sun/Mon, so, I couldn't resist !!

Was out on the full tour XJ , the one with the full fairing, top and side panniers.....the one we NEVER got in the UK, lol !!

Franz likes this.
  14. Mark R

Mark R New Member

Cool any pics

15. kerriskandiesinc

Nah, sorry mate, maybe next time, I'll try......really, since moving to the US, I find myself doing deliveries more and more, for our store....often, I'll go on the bike if I can....weather permitting, and just like when I was a UK courier, I don't usually have time for pics, lol...meaning I treat it like a (paid) job..well, because it is!!

if the weathers bad or simply too bloody hot, then I take our Volt, which is partly electric, but even on petrol, it really BEATS the XJ, on MPG ( I can average 48-49...and if I dont hang about she'll still do 44-45..about the same as the bike!!) .....so, its a no brainer really

I usually stop at the White Horse country pub, in Marbledale, CT.....its a bloody lovely location, eat inside or out, run by a Brit, proper, well cooked Brit food , and other flavours, lol .. and honestly the grub is second to none...next time I'm up that way I WILL take some pics !!

Honestly, anyone in US who is out that way..its well worth it

https://www.whitehorsecountrypub.com