1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Rear wheel gets stuck if put in first gear

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Jose Zambrana, Mar 2, 2020.

1. Jose Zambrana

Jose Zambrana Member

What did u find with the two split engines? Im looking for tips as to what or where to look. I’m also looking that I found in eBay from a reputable seller. He tells me that the engine was running fine when they took it off the bike and he just confirmed that the tranny moves and gears free. The engine is just $480 with shipping. I can get Square Trade to warrant the item for 12 months for an additional $49. That just over $500 which I have no problem paying but what has me hesitating is to get an old engine that may sooner or later require the same job. I think I can repair mine for $250 worth of parts.

2. kerriskandiesinc

kerriskandiesinc Active Member

At the time ( 1992) I too bought a couple of spare motors.....then had my mate do all the work, I was working, so didn't have the time, to oversee, but he DID say the Hy Vo chain was still useable......mainly just stripping down/flushing to get all the bits out, I dont think the chain guide is difficult to get to, nor replace....once you have the cases split!!

I THINK I read that its do=able by turning the motor upside down, and taking the sump......sorry, oil pan off, but.......no idea whether thats true

of course, ANY 39 year old motor at this stage is like to have brittle guide blades inside it...both the Alternator and cam chain !!

3. Jose Zambrana

Jose Zambrana Member

Yes. In the repair manual it says that you turn it upside down and can split from there taking the oil pan out without messing with the cylinder block or any upper part of the engine, which is a relief. The primary chain drive is Just $50, the starter clutch another $40, a new set of gaskets for the whole engine is another $98 and then, if needed, a good used set of gears (pinions and shaft) can be bought for around $60. My engine starts without hesitation and idles good and I would like to keep it.

4. a100man

a100man Well-Known Member

Hmm I think that was the Harley dealer in Hockliffe, near Dunstable - in which case gone! Theres another place called Wheels Motorcycles in Peterborough but likely not teh same..
    From google maps here the old Hockliffe site now..[​IMG]

https://goo.gl/maps/waBi85tfBMfKKjtn8

Cheers

5. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Member Joe Elif might have a spare engine you could IM him , swap out your engine and tear it down . A neat trick Joe uses is an old tire put engine in middle ,you can flip engine over without damaging cooling fins as long as your carefull, this will also keep from maring case .

6. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

7. kerriskandiesinc

Yup that was them I think, Wheels International, Hockcliffe, Bedfordshire........looooong long time ago.....1991 to be precise, they were 'multi dealer', and often used to bring in rare imports.....thats where I found my 1983.......then > 1992 Maxim 750 Yamaha, brand new, in the crate !!

8. Jose Zambrana

Jose Zambrana Member

Thank u!

9. Jose Zambrana

Jose Zambrana Member

10. Jose Zambrana

Jose Zambrana Member

So I finally split the engine yesterday and found the culprit. A new transmission is on the way. I just have a question regarding those plastic things that appear to be chain guides. I ask because I didn’t see this in the cds1984 engine removal thread.

Attached Files:

11. Jose Zambrana

Jose Zambrana Member

The culprit...

Attached Files:

12. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Last edited: Mar 8, 2020
  13. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

14. kerriskandiesinc

Yes, although the cam chain guide 'rubber' CAN break up, it's usually the thicker, 'fixed' alternator chain guide, that breaks up into 'bigger' chunks, which lodge themselves in the gearbox....

if you can source a new hy vo alternator chain, I'd be curious to a side to side measurement, as to how stretched your old one was.....mine was only a few millimeters, longer, compared to the new one ( purchased in the early 90's...you could still get over the counter spare parts then!!)

15. Greenbike

Greenbike Member

I'm another one with a bike that got stuck in first gear, just today. I pulled into a cafe car park about ten miles from home when it happened. I made it most of the way back, found it would change gear as normal, and got to within half a mile before I had to stop at a roundabout. When I pulled away, I couldn't get it out of first again.
    The bike is a 1981 UK model XJ750. The engine has only done about 30,000 miles, but of course it's nearly 40 years old.

16. Greenbike

Greenbike Member

I've just taken the side cover off (See above post). There are two lumps of chain guide rubber visible through the hole. Each one is about half an inch across. Oh well.

It looks like I'll be riding on my BSA M33 for a while, once I've finished working on it; shouldn't take too long to get it up and running.

17. Greenbike

Greenbike Member

Is that the Haynes manual or another one? Do you mean that the chain guide can be got at and replaced just by removing the oil pan and nothing else, or do the main cases have to be split as well?

Yes, I remember Wheels International. For you American folks, Bedford and Milton Keynes are only about 17 miles apart. Hockliffe is maybe a dozen miles from me.

18. kerriskandiesinc

Lol..I'm a Brit, an 'ex pat' as it were,( and an ex bike courier, know those places all too well!!) but still being British, I dunno how exactly that makes me an 'ex patriot'? exactly!!

a100man likes this.
  19. Jose Zambrana

Jose Zambrana Member

20. Jose Zambrana

Jose Zambrana Member

Now I’m waiting for the new tranny to arrive. I think the bike will be up and running by Sunday.