1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Hi idle

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by DennisMaxim, Mar 10, 2020.

1. DennisMaxim

DennisMaxim New Member

Hello guys I need your help I have a 1985 Yamaha xj700n airhead. My problem is high idle she's Idol in after she runs for awhile the idle begins to creep up to 4000 RPMs I thought it was the seals I ordered and installed aftermarket throttle seals from Lenny and I used silicone silicone grease in there installation still idles High I have used starter fluid sprayed it all around the boots sprayed it on the throttle seals themselves sprayed it around the boots where they meet the cylinder head that's when I got results the idol died the approximately 500 RPMs but crept back up to 4000 guys I'm going nuts trying to figure out where this vacuum leak is could someone please give me some suggestions

2. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Okay , you state you replaced seals...did you break the rack split the carbs ? Or only replaced outer seals ? A rise in idle after engine heats up is either your synch is off slightly ,or you have a small vacuum leak. I would suggest likely source is to check the vacuum caps , install new caps ( auto zone sells caps ) . Check your boots coat with RTV if signs of weather cracking is visible. The last item your boots gasket maybe shot , if you remove boots , be carefull the bolts tend to snap off. Replace gaskets , put anti seize on the bolts on reassembly . Cheers

Timbox likes this.
  3. DennisMaxim

DennisMaxim New Member

Yes Jake fixer I spent the carbs apart and replaced all the seals like I said I use silicone grease but I will do the rest of what you suggested thanks man I'll keep you posted

4. mlew

mlew Well-Known Member

Things that will cause a high idle;
    Vacuum leak
    Improper carb sync
    float levels set too high
    choke plunger not sealing on one or more carbs
    idle mixture too rich
    binding throttle cable

5. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member