1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

XJ700 maxim

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Isaac G, Mar 8, 2020.

1. Isaac G

Isaac G New Member

1985 xj700 no spark condition. IVe looked into everything I thought of, why there’s no spark to my plugs and all seems good but with my ignition coils my multimeter reads good on primary resistance but no reading from secondary, I know it’s unlikely that both coils took a shit at the same time, is there anything else I should look Into for the no spark?

2. tabaka45

tabaka45 Well-Known Member

A weak battery will cause that as will bad alternator brushes. Have you tried to jump it with a car battery ?

3. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Isaac, have you checked the little male/female connections? Going through your bike to check for corrosion is a good idea. Just taking apart the connectors will sometimes remove enough of the corrosion or glaze on a connector to improve connectivity.

Check the plug wires as well, if you take the plug caps off, the copper wire at the end is almost always has corrosion on it, trimming a little bit off the end of each wire (making sure you do not cut too much off to reach the spark plug) is a good practice.

I agree with you, not thinking that both coils went out the same way. Make sure you have good contact with the multimeter and check them again.

As for the battery, if it is an older batter or you don't know the history of the battery it might be time to spend the money on one. If you can get a better battery (AGM) with lets say 220 CCA and make sure it is charged well, that will at least take the battery out of the equation for trouble shooting. I use a fully charged car battery and jumper cables (thick ones) to jump my projects bikes.