1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Project: installing a kickstart on an '82 xj650 maxim

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by Nick S, Mar 28, 2020.

1. Nick S

Nick S Member

Hello, I got this bike about a year ago. In my other thread I've posted about certain problems it has idling very high but once that's sorted out I plan to install a kickstart. First question is this possible? And does anyone have experience with this? I'm pretty adept with working on the bike by now and I'm sure there's a way to do it, but wanted to see if anyone else has tried it. Also want to make sure I can do it without causing damage to the bike, however that may happen

2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

with enough money you can do anything. are you the person from FB that wanted/was going to do this?

3. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Can you cast a new set of cases?

4. XJ550H

650SecaxjenginecutawayBIG.jpg

Nick S likes this.
  5. Nick S

Nick S Member

I'm not but I wonder how his project is going. Do you know his name/link to the post? I might get a good lead from him

As of now, no. Not sure exactly how I'd go about it. My only motorcycle is not a kickstart so I'll need to do some research into how they work. If they're applied directly to the crankshaft wouldn't it be possible to put a hole in the side cover and put a bearing in the hole and a bar with a footstand through it? If the crankcase isn't pressurized it would just need to be properly sealed. Disconnect the motor and keep the starter button to enable the sparks. I bet it's harder than it sounds but it'd be a fun/challenging project. Plus it would look badass.

6. XJ550H

The motor spins in the same direction as the front wheel. Putting up Kickstart on the crankshaft would have you kicking forward on the bike instead of back towards the rear wheel. I will try to find the post on Facebook then get his name.he was planning on coming in on the opposite side of the starter I trying to put a kick-start in there somehow.

7. k-moe

You need enough gear reduction to make the engine spin, and there really isn't enough room to mount a sufficiently large gearset in place of the starter.
    Mounting a kicker directly on the crankshaft won't work either. You'll need an even larger gearset, and it will reduce cornering clearance on that side.
    All crankcases develop pressure as the pistons fall, which is why there is a crankcase breather.
    If you really want a kickstart bike, get a XS100, or XS 650.

8. Nick S

Nick S Member

I could see a nonconventional kickstart that is kicked forward. Sitting on the bike, shoving the foot forward almost seems like you might get more power anyway, or standing and kicking in a down-forward direction. Besides getting some funny stares I don't see why it wouldn't work. Something to try later, I've gotta fix my 7k rpm idle first (see my other thread)

9. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

You could mount a fake kick starter, looks just as badass as a functioning one, LOL

Chitwood likes this.
  10. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

if you have to ask, you can't

PavelK313, a100man, Franz and 4 others like this.
  11. XJ550H

^^+1^^
    sometimes I have to kick mine to get it started ;) but i do not think thats the same thing

12. 50gary

50gary Active Member

I had an XS11 a 1979 and it had both electric and kick start. I mention this because the engines are (I think) from the same design family, different engine but similar design layout? Look at the cut-a-way drawings and compare them carefully.
    Buy two set of parts or salvage yard donor motors XJ650 for the cases (probably only need the right side case, and some other kickstart Yamaha probably the 79 XS11 for the kick mechanism. The kick start mechanism is likely the same for all those series of Yamaha bikes XJ or XS Machine work and maybe some TIG welding. I like kick start "men kick start their bikes, heroes bump start their bikes"
    Cheers, 50gary.

13. 50gary

50gary Active Member

Wanted to edit but too late. The cutaway drawing that XJ550H posted is fun to look at. I've seen articles of owners of the Yamaha V-Max (I used to be a V-Max owner group member)
    that did an even more ambitious project that being converting Mr. Max to chain drive. As with adding a manual starter it sounds intimidating but they do it. I have a friend that converted
    his XS650 to water cooling, made his own plain bearing crankshaft and 900cc, so anything is possible.
    Cheers, 50gary

Nick S likes this.
  14. k-moe

The castings are different. Similar design family, but not enough is the same to swap parts.

15. XJ550H

When you look at the side of the XJ 1100 motor it has a rubber plug with a kick-start was for the xs 1100 motors don't know if you can put one in an XJ 1100.
    The photo that I posted is from someone else's post but you will find it in the XJ650 g factory service manual. it is the only only manual I have seen with the cutout. I don't think I would want to kick start in 1100 don't think I'd really want to kick-start a 650 or 750 either. It would be nice if you could put a kick-start on these bikes because then you could go to a battery eliminator capacitor possibly eliminate the battery from the bike saving some weight not sure I'm not.

16. 50gary

50gary Active Member

I kicked my XS11 no problem, that motor started like an automobile engine instantly. A big part of why I bought my 750 Maxim is to have a "pushbutton" bike in the stable.
    K-moe, I didn't actually think the parts would be a drop but more to see how Yamaha did it in these type of engines. Some pieces might be usable some not?
    Cheers, 50gary

17. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

the bolt that clamps the lever to the shaft would defiantly be reuseable

hogfiddles likes this.
  18. a100man

a100man Well-Known Member

This is a fool's errand of immense proportions..

Chitwood likes this.
  19. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

you could move the start button down by the footpeg and just kick that

hogfiddles, Tombez, Chitwood and 2 others like this.
  20. Nooten232

Nooten232 New Member

I think you would be kicking yourself in the butt if you attempt to do it...thought about it a while back, then after reading and searching I un thought about it maybe you could be one of the few! Good luck on your journey sir!