1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Fast Throttle=kill

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by hzbshns, May 4, 2006.

1. hzbshns

hzbshns New Member

Hi All,
    If you have a 1982 Maxim that Idles "ok", but will only rev when you "slowly" apply throttle what is the most likely problem. The first thing that came to my mind was a faulty or worn out diaphragm, but I've been wrong like...all the time! The carbs have been been cleaned several times. Any thoughts.

2. WeAreZilla

WeAreZilla Member

Dialing in the carbs made a big difference for me.
    1. Colortune, for proper mixture.
    2. Synchronize the four carbs.
    3. Set idle 1200 - 1500 RPM.
    Personally, my bike is a little uncomfortable at the often referred to idle speed of 1500 RPM. She likes 1000 RPM much better.

Z

3. Ralf

Ralf New Member

Last year I had all kinds of problems with the carbs. So this season I took it into the shop. All 4 carbs are now re-built and the bike runs great.

I have never worked on carbs before so I thought let them do it, and it will get done right the first time. No it runs smoth, I got more power and I'm saving gas. For me it was worth it, and I don't miss all of that backfireing at all. LOL

4. WeAreZilla

WeAreZilla Member

Funny, just this morning I was reading about how some "professionals" do such an awesome job. http://xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/p=6390.html

In the six years that I've had my bike, it routinely went into the shop, once every year minimum, for carb work. Sometimes even more. Each time I told myself "OK, that's settled", but it never really was. Well, that's been my experience, and I don't mean to imply the work you had done was bad. I'm just glad for finally taking the dive, and working on the carbs myself. They were a mess (even after all my previous investments) and now I *know* they are right. I was very nervous about doing them, so I got a lot of help, both virtual and actual. (Thanks!)

Your situation may still be carb related. I've been plenty wrong too, but it sounds like it to me. Just my 2 cents.

Z

5. jdrich48

jdrich48 Member

Hey Z;
    The proper idle rpm for my bike is 1050.
    82xj650 maxim

6. WeAreZilla

WeAreZilla Member

You see - wrong again! (Man, how could I have messed that up?!)

** 3. Set idle to 1020 - 1050 RPM.

** Mine still likes 1000 RPM rather then 1050. ;-) (Although there is some talk of starving the top end of oil if set too low.)

Z

PS: Thanks for the correction Richard. :oops:

7. geebake

geebake Member

My '83 Turbo does exactly the same thing. Idles a little low, but until it's warmed up, giving it any gas will kill it. If you roll it on really slowly, it will keep going, but it's not happy about it. I think it's either a choke issue or that the carbs need synched. We really need a carb clinic!

Greg

8. jdrich48

jdrich48 Member

Mine likes it around 1050 to 1100.

I feel really fortunate that my carb building experience went so smoothly.

After seeing all the carb problems that people have.
    But on the bright side, If I can do it you can do it.

I would sure like to join your clinic Greg, but just being a new rider for only a few months. It's just a bit futher than I think I should go at this point. I'd like to get alittle more comfortable with the bike first.

But if anyone alittle closer to me would like some help, I have a colortune, carb sticks, and a home made yics tool, a haynes manual and the the xjcd v3, with v4 in the mail right know.

Having the tools and being proficient with them is another story. I'm by no means a carb expert. I am a mechanic on construction equipment , but bikes are new to me.
    So it is still a learning experience for me too.

If anyone out there might be in my area and interested contact me off list.
    I'm not really in a position to host a clinic with food and drink, but we could work a little and ride a little.

I'll have access to the shop where I work, so there would be all the tools we need.

Raleigh, North Carolina

9. geebake

geebake Member

Not sure if this will be usefull, but I seem to have fixed the problem on my turbo. The choke cable had not worked since I got the bike. I finally got a new one and the time to install it. After putting it on, I noticed that the choke mechanism wasn't moving at all. After some fiddling, I got it to start moving and boy did that make a difference. The bike now starts very easily and doesn't bog down when it's cold and I add some throttle. It is a bit curious because the choke was stuck in the off position. There must have been more stuck, because it runs much better now even with the choke off. Freeing up that mechanism must have freed something else up too.

Greg