1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

quarantine thoughts

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by Polock, Mar 27, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

And he looks good in blackface..........

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Sad to say it fellas, but I'm going to have to be done with the site for a good long while.
    We never used to get to this low a level of discourse.
    The lack of scientific literacy is bafling to me, as is the influx of political smear talk.

Motorcycle site fellas. I thought we all agreed on that.

Peace.

3. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

EXACTLY
    back to our topic, i read somewhere on the internet of b s that Harley may not make it through the financial impact of this thing. don't matter to me but that would be a shame

4. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

I just overlaid Harley’s stock price with Yamaha’s.
    Perfect correlation, whatever that means?

5. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

6. Xjrider92117

Xjrider92117 Active Member

As a mod this thread should have been locked. Where did you think it was going to go?

7. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Ok, so let’s stop the political side of things now— looks like we may have lost k-moe, let’s not lose others. I have never seen Political debates and tiffs actually change anybody’s mind. It usually ends up with all sides getting mad. We don’t need that here.

8. 50gary

50gary Active Member

x

Last edited: Apr 16, 2020
  9. 50gary

50gary Active Member

Wasn't Harley D just bought up by BMW? Read that not too long ago.
    Cheers, 50gary

P.S. I can talk politics all day and not get PO'd it's a part of being an adult. Never call names, never cuss, never raise your voice. Simple as pie.

10. chacal

I thought the discussions were interesting and, given the subject matter, very polite. I guess I don't get out enuf..........around here, strangers will tell you to ESADIAF if they don't like the color of shirt that you're wearing.

This is the "Hangout Lounge", right?

11. Jonathon Kent

Jonathon Kent Member

healthcare workers are of course going to have more of a reaction to this; they have a significantly higher exposure to this. They are also more stressed by their patients and their overall jobs and by the excessively hard schedules; I.e. working overnights and the likes of swing shifts. Significantly lowers your immune system. And again the increased exposure gives this virus which is actually in the same family as SARS different strain technical name is Covid-19 SARS 2. My wife is a nurse who has been dealing with this since it started; we live in NY not the city but that being said the media has been sensationalizing a little bit because again social media makes money by the viewer ship. Doesn’t mean that they are entirely wrong; but again they aren’t entirely correct. As chacal stated the “herd” immunity is actually something that a lot of healthcare professionals agree with with the covid 19 virus.as far as the population of the u.s. over half of the population is over the age of 50 being that they are the “boomer generation “ largest generation quickly followed by the millennial generation which is why the average age is around 38 or so. Because millennials tip the balance back down or the average age would be closer to 48-50 years old.

12. chacal

What Comes Next:

You thought these people were being strict already?

Here, hold my beer:

WHO Wants To Separate Families... "In A Safe And Dignified Manner"

(you can watch the Maniac Tedros pontificate on his own special kind of wisdom, or you can skip to the 50:00 mark to watch psycho-in-training Michael Ryan aspire to win the Uberfuehrer of the Year Award):

Executive Director at the WHO Health Emergencies Program, Dr. Michael Ryan, said during an interview:

“In most parts of the world, due to lockdown, most of the transmission that’s actually happening in many countries now is happening in the household, at family level. In some senses, transmission has been taken off the streets and pushed back into family units. Now we need to go and look in families and find those people who may be sick and remove them, and isolate them, in a safe and dignified manner.

You guys okay with this?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2020
  13. ManBot13

ManBot13 Well-Known Member

Forum is only as good as its moderators. And a moderator should take responsibility for potentially harmful information being spread on a "motorcycle" forum.

Problem with debating conspiracy theories isn't convincing a believer, but some shade tree mechanic that may wonder by and start to believe that social distancing shouldn't be practiced.

So I repeat, COVID-19 doesn't care about your politics or beliefs. It is extremely contagious and the only way to protect against it is to isolate everyone, until we can test everyone and only isolate and treat the infected (which is what the CDC does everyday), and finally develop a vaccine. That's reality, anything else will result in many more deaths and overwhelm our medical system.

14. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Ok, so this moderator will now lock this thread

kosel likes this.
  15. chacal

Moderators are certainly important, but I think the members of the forum are even more important, but of course I've always rooted for the underdogs.

Suppose that "social distancing".......according to the data and historical precedent......doesn't eliminate a virus and stands a significant chance of increasing future health risks, for a variety of reasons......should a moderator take "personal responsibility" for allowing that type of information to be spread on a forum?

Suppose they aren't conspiracy theories? Suppose they are "conspiracy fact" based upon---you guessed it----historical data and experience?

Suppose it shouldn't (or, at best, it has little or no effect)? What does the data say? Suppose shade-tree mechanics and others start believing in "facts" that the evidence doesn't support?

Correct!

Correct!

Then can you please post the DATA----both pro and con---that supports your thesis? I have certainly tried to share the "cons".........the "proponents" of such THEORIES in regards to the "social distancing" issue are ubiquitous, they are like the air that we breath all around us---they are everywhere, all the time.. Besides the volume and frequency of such THEORIES being trumpeted, I'm still waiting for the evidence.......you know, the type backed up by data.

Does "everyone" include all 330 million of us? How might that be accomplished? And since there is anywhere from a 3-to-30 day "incubation period" according to "experts", and that people may be able to be re-infected even after they've had it once.....that would seem to indicate that "everyone" needs to be continually tested everyday, for at least 60 days, so that's about 20-billion tests (about 2.5 times the current human population). Is that what you meant to imply, or was it something else?

Does this include those who are asymptomatic, as well as the approx. 50+% that get it and show no symptoms and who never even know they've had it? What "treatment" do you suppose we might offer those people....all 160+ million of them?

Help me out here........I though doctors/nurses/hospitals/etc. are the ones who treat people......what does the CDC have to do with this (besides, so far----among other things----creating bad models, bad test kits, bad advice, etc.)?

Once again, there is no data nor historical incident of a vaccine being developed against any coronavirus.....ever. Yet you keep stating this. IF I'M MISTAKEN ABOUT THIS, PLEASE PRESENT EXAMPLES.

The common cold is also caused by a coronavirus, and attempts to create a vaccine against it have never succeeded.....and not for a lack of trying (there would be a lot of money for anyone who developed one, and in spite of close to 60 years of that motivation, the result is: nothing).

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-vaccines-insight-idUSKBN20Y1GZ

Key Points: "Behind the scenes, scientists and medical experts are concerned that rushing a vaccine could end up worsening the infection in some patients rather than preventing it.

Studies have suggested that coronavirus vaccines carry the risk of what is known as vaccine enhancement, where instead of protecting against infection, the vaccine can actually make the disease worse when a vaccinated person is infected with the virus
    . The mechanism that causes that risk is not fully understood and is one of the stumbling blocks that has prevented the successful development of a coronavirus vaccine.

Normally, researchers would take months to test for the possibility of vaccine enhancement in animals. Given the urgency to stem the spread of the new coronavirus, some drugmakers are moving straight into small-scale human tests, without waiting for the completion of such animal tests.

“I understand the importance of accelerating timelines for vaccines in general, but from everything I know, this is not the vaccine to be doing it with,” Dr Peter Hotez, dean of the National School of Tropical Medicine at Baylor College of Medicine, told Reuters.

Hotez worked on development of a vaccine for SARS (Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome), the coronavirus behind a major 2003 outbreak, and found that some vaccinated animals developed more severe disease compared with unvaccinated animals when they were exposed to the virus."

Now, I certainly can't and won't try to speak for others, but given what these "experts" are saying, the hope for a development of a successful coronavirus vaccine seems to be fraught with risk, won't happen quickly (note: historical experience to date says "maybe never"), and can easily be construed as "media hype" and creating false hopes in the mind of the public. P.S. THAT'S WHAT THE DATA SAYS, not me......

I understand that you do not like me "nitpicking" the mainstream statements and theories, but that is what a real scientist does......challenges theories, questions statements, looks for the data to support or refute them. In fact, that's exactly how understanding, knowledge, and "science" progresses. Members of this motorcycle forum deserve only the best that human experience and data have to offer.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2020
  16. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Chacal is a moderator too, and I thought the discussion had run its course.
    My apologies for being wrong, and having to be away fromt he forum long enough for this thread to go past three pages.

A would like to also apologize for posting in a closed thread, but I felt the need to answer your question publicly.

I'll likely be back once my XJ is again in the same physical location as I am.

(note: edited for clarity. I'm as much at fault as anyone else for this failure).

Last edited: Apr 19, 2020
  17. chacal

Actually, I started composing my last reply (post #135) before hogfiddles locked the forum, and since I'm:

a) slow
    b) make a lot of typo's while composing (but, I make the effort to almost completely proofread it before posting), and
    c) it takes a while to find reference sources to back-up my statements

I then posted it, and once it posted I noticed that the forum had been locked, but of course since I also have moderator capabilities, it ignores the locks.

I'll also re-state my opinion that for the most part, the thread was rather civil and polite (considering the subject matter), I've seen comments on other matters (YICS, copyrights, etc.) that have been full of passionate disagreements, too...that is the nature of life. I don't think that it needed to be closed, but that was hogfiddles call and I'll back him up on his decision.

I don't think that anyone of us knows for sure what "the truth" is about the situation, and therefore any opinions will be just that: opinions. And there's no need to bring up the concept of "moderator responsibility" as a way of closing off a rational discussion with a "my way or the highway" stance of your statements being correct, and thus everyone else is just wrong. Unless "you" have some type of inside knowledge that you aren't sharing with us.

Data and historical experience are what drives science, not proclamations by decree.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.