1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

81 xj750 maxim gauge cluster not working

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by kenkader1, Apr 20, 2020.

1. kenkader1

kenkader1 New Member

I have an xj750 maxim and the gauge cluster lights up, but the neutral light, warning, and status things do not turn on when the bike is on. The speedometer doesn't work either but I believe that may be the cable.

2. kenkader1

kenkader1 New Member

Edit: the bike is a 750 seca, Im not sure if that makes a difference

3. SQLGuy

SQLGuy Well-Known Member

The neutral light is pretty simple. It gets power from the signal fuse and gets grounded by the neutral switch then the bike is in neutral. Do your turn signals work? Or the horn? If these are working then that fuse is probably OK. If they're not, then the fuse, or the fuse box, may be the problem. If you have the original glass fuse type fusebox, you should replace that, as the clips oxidize and get brittle and don't conduct well.

If the horn and/or turn signals are working, then you probably have a broken wire leading to the neutral switch or a bad switch... in addition to whatever is going on with the monitor... or it might be that things are disconnected or miswired in the headlight bucket. Certainly worth taking a look in there.

Power for the monitor comes off the main switch. If it weren't getting power, nothing else would be either... no headlight, no starter...

raskal likes this.
  4. kenkader1

kenkader1 New Member

The fuses aren't the original glass fuses but they aren't wired great so I will take a look at that. The turn signals, horn, and speedo do not work but the headlight, starter, kill switch, and monitor lighting work fine and the bike runs. Do these "accessories" have a common power to the monitor or are they all powered off of their separate switches, i.e. oil pressure, neutral switch, gas gauge. Not near my service manual now as that would tell me. Are there any common things to look for other than the fuses, the wiring in the bucket was in tact.

5. SQLGuy

SQLGuy Well-Known Member

Meter lights are separate from monitor power. I'd say your Signal fuse/circuit is bad, for sure, but that there are other problems, too.

6. Rooster53

Rooster53 Well-Known Member Premium Member

The computer monitor shares power with the turn signals, horn, and brake lights, so it should work also once you find the problem with SIGNAL power.

7. SQLGuy

SQLGuy Well-Known Member

The factory manual shows the monitor getting power from the Br wire that supplies the Ignition, Signal, and Headlight fuses, not from the fused side of Signal. Is this another mistake in the factory manual?

8. Rooster53

Rooster53 Well-Known Member Premium Member

The FSM and the Haynes are correct showing the Br wire connecting to the output side of the signal fuse, but only on the full diagram. The FSM troubleshooting diagrams are incorrect showing the Br wire for the CMS on the input side of the signal fuse.

SQLGuy likes this.