1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Not idling on its own

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Chasej94, Apr 23, 2020.

1. Chasej94

Chasej94 New Member

I have a xj700 Maxim, Got the bike running again, cleaned up the carbs. And now the bike has a rough idleand it will die on its own. Any ideas?

2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

Does it run when the choke is on by itself or does it die with the choke on?
    What do you have your Idle set at should be around 1050 to 1100 RPM?
    Idle issues I usually related to the pilot jet circuit are the enrichment jet circuit.
    You will also want to check for vacuum leaks.
    What is your battery voltage or charging voltage when bike is running? Low voltage output on the battery can cause the bike to stall out, I'm assuming your bike has been sitting for a long time and still has the old battery in it. The three things you have to look at is fuel supply, air supply, and Spark.
    Is your gasoline old? If you're not getting the proper voltage supply your spark will not happen reliably. have you checked your air filter to see if it's got a mouse in it are other woodland creature?
    Can you give us a little more history on your bike how long it's been sitting what you have done to it how you clean the carbs.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
  3. Chasej94

Chasej94 New Member

i start it with the choke on, but then i take it off. it runs after that on its own until a few secs in it starts dropping in rpm until it dies, putting more choke on doesn't help at all, its the same outcome. so, I replaced the battery, and with the carbs, I took them out, took every single piece out, cleaned every nook and cranny, and put it back in. I also drained all the old gas out and put new gas in, did an oil change and today I'm going to put new spark plugs.

4. Huntchuks

Huntchuks Well-Known Member

What if my eyeball set is at 12:00 noon instead of 10:50?

I always search for Spock but never find him.

Sorry, but this stuff just made me chuckle. No bad intentions here bud. Thanks for always trying to help.

XJ550H, Ben Hinz and Chasej94 like this.
  5. Ben Hinz

Ben Hinz Member

It could be your petcock valve or float levels. If your petcock/vacuum pump isn't working properly, you might be using more fuel at idle than the valve can replenish. If you set it to prime (which bypasses the vacuum pump) it should be able to keep up at idle. If your float levels are too low, it will run out of fuel in the float bowl even faster. I've been chasing cold start issues for a while until just this week I double checked my float levels and they were a few mm too low. Now that they are in spec it starts right up every time.

6. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Did you do a running sync yet?

7. SQLGuy

SQLGuy Well-Known Member

It's not a vacuum pump. The vacuum of the running engine simply opens the valve. When the engine stops, the valve closes, so no fuel is flowing when the engine is stopped. In all cases, prime, on, and reserve, fuel is gravity fed to the carbs.

8. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

eye.jpg spock.jpg incorrectly to my tablet, never know what it is going to print. Just make sure you do not get so focused on the carbs that you dont look for other reasons it may not be running correctly. low voltage output lack of air ect

9. tabaka45

tabaka45 Well-Known Member

Does it continue to run if you start it and leave the choke on?