1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Carb leaking

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by foxwilds, Apr 25, 2006.

1. foxwilds

foxwilds New Member

I recently purchased a 1985 Maxim 700cc. It had been in storage for 5 years. I pulled the carbs and cleaned them. It started but it dies if I let off the choke or gas. It also bogs if I jack the accelerator quickly. The next day I found it to be leaking gas out of what looks like drain tubes coming out of the carb and air filter box. Help! I hate carbs.

Perry Norsworthy

2. richard03

richard03 Member

Can you give some more detail as to how you cleaned the carbs?
    I had to clean mine twice because I didn't do it right the first time.

Also - are you sure that you got the carbs all the way back into the boots? The symptoms you are describing could be due to a vacuum leak.

I had to go back a second time on the idle circuit. I don't know about your carbs, but mine has a fuel/air mix enrichment screw. In other words, if you blow with compressed air on one hole, it should come out two on the other side. So - one of the passages could be blocked and you would never know it unless you covered one of the other holes to force it out the blocked one. This is what I ended up doing and I found my problem!

3. Nick

Nick Member

Your your float valves aren't seating or the floats could be hanging up not letting the valves seat.
    If you take your carbs off again to check this, blow gently on the fuel line with the carbs upside down to see that the float valves are actually closing. A gentle pressure on the float to simulate the action of them floating may be required.

4. foxwilds

foxwilds New Member

I took the carbs off, dropped the bowls and sprayed the bajebezzies of of the inside of the carb. Pulled adjustment jets and sprayed those also. Carbs are in the boots.

5. Hvnbnd

Hvnbnd Active Member

I've found a site on e-bay (Key words- XJ Carb) where they had needle and seats for sale the full set was 28.00. Pretty cheap fix!
    He also threw in float bowl gaskets for like 12.00
    He shipped from New Zeland to AZ USA in 3 days!!!!
    This cured my problem much the same as yours.
    Good Luck!

6. aztech

aztech New Member

One other thing you might think about. If you can get access to compressed air. Spray or better soak the carbs over night. Count how many turns out/in on all your adjustment screws and than remove them and the jets. Run about 90lbs of air pressure through any and all passages you can find. Be careful as there may be a spring or carb cleaner or most importantly garbage in the carb. When you butt the air gun up to the carb passage hit it gently until you see where the air is comming out than blast it a few times until the air flows freely. Again be careful, it's easy to hit yourself in the face with carb cleaner doing this(eye protection is a must). When your done replace all adjustment screws. If nothing else you wil know the carb is clean and obstruction free. Good luck.

P.S. You need to remove your floats and diaphrams before you do this so there is a open path for the air.