1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Now that's a delicious clutch'za pie~

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Maxwell Partridge, Apr 27, 2020.

1. Maxwell Partridge

Maxwell Partridge Member

Thanks Chacal for the parts! Starting on the work today I'll give you guys an update in afew days on how it's going.

[​IMG]

Franz likes this.
  2. Maxwell Partridge

Maxwell Partridge Member

Anyone feel free to chime in on some of these questions.. I'm gonna let the plates rest in the oil for 1-2 hours before starting the rebuild process, can anyone tell me though, one of my drive plates is noticeably larger than the rest, is this normal? Does it matter what position it goes in during the rebuild, also what is the process for putting the plates back in, is it drive plate first or friction plate? These seem like quality parts so far, I look forward to getting the bike back together!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The one I put the red line on is the bigger one, it is about roughly .4318mm larger than the other plates, will this be a problem?

3. Maxwell Partridge

Maxwell Partridge Member

Recently informed that 1.55 is the correct size for the drive plates...

6 measured -1.058 mm
    1 measured - 1.075 mm

Are these too worn then? Will this cause issue and should I just order some fresh ones to be safe?

Alot of the components for this bike when I got it were Seca based parts like the gauge cluster console and shocks (I swapped them back with a the originals in the box he gave me). There were two random other gauge clusters too in the box that looked like they were from completely different motorcycles, the original was in there too but the front glass is shattered and the thing was ripped apart by the PO.

Is it safe to assume that he did a clutch rebuild at one point and put a seca rebuild kit in it? The friction pads themselves were not even out of spec that I took out but they were pretty far gone so I just opted to replace them.

*Edit: I measured all plates in three different spots on the plates themselves like a triangle..*

4. Maxwell Partridge

Maxwell Partridge Member

Nevermind.... Forgot that my calipers are in inches and not MM, so my actual readings are:
    6 - 26.8732mm plates.
    1 - 27.305mm plate.

5. a100man

a100man Well-Known Member

Your decimal point might have moved - again..

6. Maxwell Partridge

Maxwell Partridge Member

Yeah me and Chacal figured it out, I'm gonna throw away these analog calipers and buy some digital ones xD Got the clutch in and it slips no more! :D Now I just need to figure out the rats nest of my headlight wiring.

xj6504lyfe likes this.