1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Windshield for Maxim

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by BlueMaxim, Apr 27, 2006.

1. BlueMaxim

BlueMaxim Active Member

Well it loks like I will make my production bonus this month again! Yipee! So combining it with last month's I am looking for a windshield. Has anyone found a Memphis Shades model that fits the 750 Maxim well? Their website doesn't list my XJ750K. Don't want a sport fairing, more like an 18" above headlight type. I like their Hellcat but don't know if it will fit.

2. Jeepin_CJ7

Jeepin_CJ7 New Member

Are you using the Spitfire? I was wondering what the fit and quality was.

I too am looking, but want one that looks made for the bike.

'83 XJ750RK

3. BlueMaxim

BlueMaxim Active Member

That may just work Steve. I checked out the website and they have some nice fairings. Somehow I missed these. Haven't seen them before. Reminds me of that fairing Gary had on his Maxim X. It woud leave me enough to maybe even do a brake upgrade to stainless lines. So how is the NTCC site search going? That trip is the main reason I want a fairing.

4. tpercy650

tpercy650 New Member

please post some pictures if you do get a windshield mounted, id like to get one, but id like to see how it looks first. the spitfire does look good on the bike they advertise with .

5. samtidor

samtidor Member

I posted a photo of my Maxim w/ a 15" (tall) National Cycle removable Deflector shield in the photo gallery earlier this week. National Cycle also makes a larger one that is about 19" (tall). The clear screen was $89 and included all the hardware (I splurged the extra $10 for the tinted model). The larger shield runs around $130 I believe. Swapping either screen only takes minutes.

http://www.nationalcycle.com/

6. luna3

luna3 Member

Hi gang....just bought a Hellcat from MAW on-line...ffits my xj650 like glove. Handlebar mount, black gradient..way cool!

7. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Member

:!: Re: MAW Has them on sale right now - 1 day sale..

Hey guys,

I just ordered my windshield this morning, and now I noticed on their website that they are about $10 off normal price...

http://www.mawonline.com/

This looks to be only a 1-day sale... so G'luck gettin' in on it.

Order # Price........ Description......
    (48824) $36.95 Slipstreamer S-06 Spitfire Windshield with 7/8" Kit Clear Mfg.#: S06C
    (01169) $39.95 Slipstreamer S-06 Spitfire Windshield with 7/8" Kit Tinted Mfg.#: S06ACM

Rex S.

8. BlueMaxim

BlueMaxim Active Member

I ordered mine tonight. Couldn't pass on the sale price. If I don't like it I will offer it someone in my Southern Cruisers club and get the Memphis Shades Hellcat. This leaves me money for for more farkles!

9. robista361

robista361 Member

check out shopnationalcycle.com, they have awesome windscreens at great prices. And if your looking for something musclely looking, check out their "fly screen", what a beaut !!

10. BlueMaxim

BlueMaxim Active Member

Actually I had checked them out since I was familiar with their name. Their deflector shield is a dead ringer for the Spitfire I bought yesterday. Don't know how I had not heard of Slipstreamer before but really liked the sheild. Would like it to be 18" or 19" high but 3" shouldn't make too much of a difference. If it does I'll be calling it a "slopstreamer"! Thanks for all the input guys. It really helped! :)

11. pigmouse

pigmouse Member

has anyone ever seen or heard of anybody using a sport fairing on an XJ maxim? Something like this:
    http://www.nationalcycle.com/catalogue/ ... elds.html#

Some jackass stole my bike the other night. Recovered the bike, but said jackass broke my windshield. I'm looking for a replacement.

12. Robert

Robert Active Member

Glad to hear you got it back, and so quickly. Count yourself lucky that is all the damage there was. I could tell you about the thieves who took out the entire passenger side of my '68 GTO. Or the fuel tank on my '83 Interceptor. Grrr.... I hate thieves

13. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Member

Hey there Jeffrey,

I got my Spitfire windshiled in yesterday, and installed it this morning...

I'm kind of in a quandry about it... Methinks it may be a bit too low for my liking. At speeds up to about 47 MPH, it's great... But at about 50+ MPH, the wind compresses and hits me right in the face/head. It felt as if I was driving through an earthquake, since my sunglasses started shaking so violently ... Had to lean down forwards to get my head/helmet under the protection of the screen...

I've got it adjusted as high as it will go - and I suppose I'll play around with the angle next to see if I can make it work well enough for me to continue using.

Rex S.

14. BlueMaxim

BlueMaxim Active Member

Well I feel a little wind but no earthquake. I have mine set down on the headlight so I may be enough into the wind to settle out the buffetting. My vest flaps like mad so I guess that's it. I also set the angle to match the rake of the forks.

15. RobsTV

RobsTV Member

Being 6'1", this works great for myself.
    When it is adjusted nearly as high as possible, as shown (down on light, and angle aligned with forks) windshield height is just below my eyes, or perfect.

I wanted a cheap fairing, and this was close enough for less than $130, without hiding the front looks of bike.
    Fit's the Maxim like it was factory equipped with it.
    The mount kit includes about 1" mirror extensions, which raise mirror like it should have been all along.
    Made a HUGE difference in riding.
    At 55MPH and under, I can relax one handed.

Gas mileage was not affected, or if it was, it is a tad better with windshield.

Slipstreamer Spirit S-02
    Dimensions: 21 1/2" H x 35" W x 19" B

[​IMG]

16. BlueMaxim

BlueMaxim Active Member

Reminds me of the Stilletto fairing I had on my Seca. You also may have touched on the main difference between Rex and I. Rex looks like an extra sissy bar in the seat while I look more like a beach ball riding a bike.

17. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Member

Haha - THat's Good!. I tell ya what.. I've lost 25 lbs since November - while working construction as a 2nd job. I'm back down to what I consider a healthy weight for myself. (not to mention I'm getting a little muscle in the arms & chest).

Anyway - I contacted the folks at SlipStreamer, to check on the angle, etc.. and to get a realistic position on my expectiation from this windscreen...

Basically - They told me that the screen I got (the SpitFire) is designed to reduce wind pressure on the chest area - not the head. So it needs to be set back down to touch the top of the headlight mount, and angle it back a bit more.. so that the compressed air at highway speeds hits me just below the neck - instead of waaay up at my eyes/helmet. If I want higher coverage & wind protection... I should have gotten a bigger windshield.

I'll play around with the angles on this one after work, and will see if I can come to an acceptable compromise for what my expectations were from its purchase.

Rex S.

18. Maxoom

Maxoom New Member

Last year I put a Slipstreamer S-03 (http://www.slipstreamer.com/) on my 82 650 Maxim. It works very well, particularly when facing the shock wave from an oncoming bus at 60 mph. It seems to me that rather than buffeting the bike around, the energy from the shock wave translates into the front forks, compressing them. Surprisingly, I received several compliments on the glass.

With such a big sail on the front end, I also expected that crosswinds would cause a concern, but unless we are talking about something faster than 40 mph, its not really extreme.

The only major concern I have is that my full-face helment teds to fog in city driving unless the visor is opened just a crack. This is fine, but the slipstream over the top of the windshield meets the helmet at the top of the visor and gets pretty noisy at highway speed.

I wont be the first to admit that I might be a bit large for the 650, but most normal-sized riders wont have the same problem.

Cheers,
    Maxoom

19. JustBurn

JustBurn Member

Hey i have a stock(i believe) windsheild on my 750 Maxim that i'm going to remove... is it worth anything?? I'll post it in the classifieds....

20. Desinger_Mike

Desinger_Mike Member

I put a Street Shield EX from National on my XJ700X.
    It is really tight with the signal lights, but I liked the extra size and it comes off in about 30 seconds.
    A friend tried it for a week (and never gave it back!!)
    I can't complain since he paid me full price for it :)

I like the tinted bottom portion and the four point mounts.