1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

I don't understand carb syncing..

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Maxwell Partridge, Apr 29, 2020.

1. Maxwell Partridge

Maxwell Partridge Member

It was just a list of all the expenses I've had to make since purchasing the bike, for the bike... I'm not saying things like tools wouldn't be needed for other things EVENTUALLY, but they were needed specifically for this bike to ensure the engine casing and clutch springs were torqued correctly. I also counted gas because it is gasoline that was used in the process of testing/adjusting the bike, no where near actually enjoyable riding in terms of cruising down the road without engine sputtering, stopping to adjust mixtures, ext....

You guys seem to be taking it the wrong way as in I'm trying to find every reason to complain about the cost of quality, I'm not... I simply said I'm trying to keep under 2k for a fully operational functioning bike that looks halfway decent with a good power footprint, I'm creeping closer and closer to the 2k mark, that is all....

2. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

No we’re not— we’re just having fun. Basically, we’re saying don’t keep track or you’ll get really discouraged. MOST of us have put more into our bikes than we’ll ever get out money-wise if we sell. But nothing can ever equal the fun/satisfaction/enjoyment price when it’s done.

I have absolutely no clue how much $ I have put into any bike I own. I don’t keep track other than how much I might have paid initially.

3. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

The great thing about fixing these Yamaha's is not only in doing the work yourself but the fact that once a bike is sorted it will give years more service with regular maintenance.

Rusty81 and hogfiddles like this.
  4. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

yup price of bike is only dollar amount listed in my journal for bikes.
    parts and work is there but not the cost.

any used bike you get will require money to make it safe and reliable, just yearly maintance on your bike will quickly add up.
    proper brakes to stop are $$ MC rebuild. caliper rebuild, pads, new shoes, brake lines. this is a must do item.
    check year codes on tires, I hate having to buy tires but if out of spec new shoes for the bike.
    one crash for safety related items failing will cost more that getting it right .

sometimes it takes longer to get bike ready for the road than you would like, but when its done your first ride makes it all worth it.

picked up a XJ900 it will be a while before it will be road ready may have to buy a new motor.
    may have to sell a bike to finance this project, just can not bear the thought of selling a bike.
    I may have to pick up a honda or HD to fix and sell. Just not an XJ.

Minimutly likes this.
  5. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Yup, and my 650rj is a good example.... bought it 7 yrs ago.....it’s STILL tying up my lift. But at least it’s almost done now

6. Maxwell Partridge

Maxwell Partridge Member

So here's an update... Got the carbs synced, they idle REAL NICE now, but I also found out in the process that I do actually have a vacuum leak, in my butterfly seals.... When trying to start the bike once I noticed some smoke coming out of the right side (outside) of carb four. "Huh, where the hell did that come from?" I spray starter fluid in the intake to make it backfire on purpose and then I saw it, smoke came right out of the butterfly seal... RIP... I sprayed starter fluid onto it and yep, it made the idle go down SLIGHTLY every time I sprayed it. I missed this before because the carbs were not synced so it was idling poorly to begin with, making the change in rpm pitch (which is subtle) hard to detect. How expensive is it going to be to replace all the carb butterfly seals, are they just o-rings or are they some proprietary kind of seal?

The leak is what I am assuming is what causes the bike to suddenly drop rpm every few seconds, the sudden influx of air the bike is not expecting is making the engine stumble over itself.

7. Maxwell Partridge

Maxwell Partridge Member

I just took one of the throttle shaft sides off of my spare carb to see what I'm dealing with, and it looks like a square-type o-ring, I assume that a simply o-ring from a hardware store will not suffice here? Also, is there a way to get at it without REMOVING the throttle shaft? of am I going to have to do that? I just don't want to risk ruining the small Philips attaching the throttle plate.

8. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

No (besides the outer seal on each of the two outer carbs).

Yes.

With the correct size JIS screwdriver, you won't, but even if you do, replacements are available.

9. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

Chacal sells the throttle shaft seals both oem and aftermarket.

you can use regular style orings if you wish to go that route.