1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Drum brake casing grinds on rim XJ550 1982

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by fessus, Apr 30, 2020.

1. fessus

fessus New Member

Hi all,

I just had my wheels removed and taken to a shop for new tyres, and now that I got them back and fitted everything the rear wheel is a struggle to turn by hand.
    My issue sounds like the one here: https://www.xjbikes.com/forums/threads/rear-wheel-not-turning-properly-after-removal.126676/
    But it does not seem that a solution was found, and I have a chain drive.

Releasing the brake rod completeley does not help either, and I did not change anything to the brakes.

It feels like the casing of the drum brake is gridning on the rim side..
    Is there anything else than the axle making sure these two parts are lined up?

IMG_5130.JPG

Any input is appreciated!

2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

3. fessus

fessus New Member

I also looked at the drawings and wondered about the one in between the bearings. But looking at it now I don't think it is possible to miss it, and mounted everything again carefully but still the same issue.
    Spacers 34 and 42 are in place.

Could my bearings or one of them be to thin?
    I'm going to check the bearings and see if they are correct..

4. a100man

a100man Well-Known Member

Is the chain too tight?

Not sure quite what you mean by this..
    Can you hear a grinding sound as you turn the wheel?

5. fessus

fessus New Member

Chains is good.

I was thinking first that the wheel was lined up completely wrong but I don't see that it is..

Sort of a grinding noise yes.
    From what I gather the casing should only be in contact in the center. But it seems to come in contact around the edges as well.

6. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

It may just be the picture but that bearing looks a little off to me. Stick your finger in the center hole from the brake side and see if it spins smoothly. Can you get us a pic of the other side?

Try this, with the wheel off the bike put the brake plate in place and put the axle through the center. While holding the wheel with one hand, try spinning the brake plate with your other hand while putting pressure on the plate towards the wheel. It should spin smoothly with no grinding or dragging. If it does, then the wheel etc. is good and something is happening with reassembly to the bike. If not, the shop may have messed a bearing up.

7. fessus

fessus New Member

Might be able to get a picture tomorrow of the other side.

I did try that before actually, and it is not smooth. It comes in contact even then, without tightening anything up.

I have not used the bike much, since I got my license just before winter, but the little I have used it it has been a struggle sometimes to move in and out of the garage, but my inexperience just thought it was supposed to be like that, Old and heavy bike, and did not register this noice. Could have become worse after it was disassembled or the shop could have made it worse putting on the tyre.

Wondering if either the wheel or something else could have been bent while any of the previous owners fell over with it, there are some scratch marks here and there. Making either of these parts a bit skew and therefore not making it a perfect fit anymore.

I was only able to read the bearing numbers on the other side, and that seems ok when googling.

Really appreciate the help!

8. fessus

fessus New Member

The bearing on the brake side does not rotate smoothly, a major difference compared to the chain side.. so I think I need to change that, even though it might not be the issue but hopefully it is.
    Should I change all three when doing one?

Got the picture of the other side:
    IMG_5135.JPG

9. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

Order the All Balls kit which will have all three with new seals.

this is important and you should be able to see this in place with the axle removed.

10. fessus

fessus New Member

I will see what kit I get get hold of here in Sweden or somewhere else in the EU.

I can see the spacer in between the bearings, and I can move it around a lot, but not get it out of position so that the axle would miss it.

I might disassemble everything before ordering in case something else is missing or broken.

11. fessus

fessus New Member

Hi all

I got all the bearings out today and the flange spacer was missing. I don't know if that would cause my issue, is it's only job to hold the spacing in place to be able to put the axle thru?

Will be ordering new bearings and the flange spacer now, hopefully I will get it fitted soon.

IMG_5140.JPG IMG_5139.JPG

12. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

Flange spacer is for keeping it above axle hole to fit axle.

13. a100man

You should be OK - Sweden makes some of the world's best bearings (SKF)..!

14. fessus

fessus New Member

Yes we do! I actually worked there for a little while a number of years ago.

But now I'll be ordering from the UK, because then I can get the seal, bearings and flange spacer from the same place.

15. a100man

Which place? Yambits ??

16. fessus

fessus New Member

Yes! I have ordered from them before and also been in contact with them and it worked out great then! Feels better than a number of different eBay sellers and cheaper than ordereing it in Sweden from what I could find out. But it was tricky now because of covid-19, they only accepted a fixed number of order per day so you had to be there on time and a little bit lucky.

Hopefully I can still order from them after brexit.

17. a100man

Don't sweat over Brexit.. I doubt very much will change in terms of trade. Th UK buys too many German cars!

fessus and XJ550H like this.
  18. a100man

19. fessus

fessus New Member

I hade not!
    Seems like an excellent place for spare parts!

I got my package with new parts yesterday, hopefully I can assemble it soon and everything is OK.

20. 50gary

50gary Active Member

I would think the brake shoes are dragging a bit? Readjust them so they are in the correct position, ink them up with a Sharpie marker (or Svenska equivalent) for a 'witness' mark, insert the axle, then spin the wheel while holding the backing plate.
    Take the brake backing plate off again and look at the inked shoes. I'm guessing the shoes got moved during the process?
    Cheers, 50gary