1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

My xj550 tci is from a suzuki!

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Grahamdermagraphica, Jan 5, 2014.

1. Grahamdermagraphica

Grahamdermagraphica New Member

Hi there everyone. This is my first post on here but I have been stalking you all for a couple of months. :D
    I have just stripped out the wiring loom from my xj550 cafe racer build in preparation of fitting a motogadget m unit and I noticed that my ignition is a tr igniter from a suzuki! Has anyone else heard of this before? It seems to run well enough though I only did around 100 miles before attacking the bike with a hacksaw.

2. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

Welcome to the site !!

It couldn't have the correct "mapping" for the spark advance curve, which is the reason to bin it (or sell it) but props to the ingenious PO for making it work.

It might take the wrong OHMS on the input or output side, which means it could fail.

(brake and tire warnings ! \/)

3. Grahamdermagraphica

Grahamdermagraphica New Member

Thanks for the help TIMEtoRIDE. It was wired in without a connector just lots of electrical tape and spade connectors. Would it have affected the performance very much? It seemed to run ok.

4. Mavrick9

Mavrick9 New Member

I know this is an old post but can you tell me what model suzuki it is from, I desperately need a tci for a xj550 that I have.

5. SQLGuy

SQLGuy Well-Known Member

What's wrong with the original one it has? They are usually repairable.

6. a100man

a100man Well-Known Member

Eh! By whom? without a link its not gonna be helpful to our new Jamaican friend.

There are (used to be) several companies selling replacements TCIs but they maty be expensive for you if the bike is a hack..

This thread has details of options - or you could try 'something' from a same period UJM.. Suzuki GS550, Kawa GPZ550 etc.. as long as they are TCI and not CDI.
    Look out for Hitachai brand logo..

https://xjbikes.com/forums/threads/aftermarket-ignition.45931/

7. Mavrick9

Mavrick9 New Member

8. a100man

a100man Well-Known Member

Hi Yes that the right one - a fair price too. I think.

9. SQLGuy

SQLGuy Well-Known Member

They're usually repairable by me, or by Rooster, but I'm not sure if shipping from Jamaica would be worthwhile. I would think there there are probably some local electronics shops down there that could repair it. While in college I worked for a computer repair shop in Orlando. We did monitors and motherboards, UPSs, even special power supplies from unknown equipment. All component level work. The owner of the shop was Brazilian. I learned a lot from him, and he had learned a lot by working with a scarcity of parts supplies when he had lived in Brazil.