1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

No spark

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Big beard82, May 12, 2020.

1. Big beard82

Big beard82 New Member

So this bike has been slowly getting worse as far as starting issues go..for the past week I've been jump starting the bike with my car and then restarting it I just pop start it. I ordered a new button because mine is missing and the screw is starting to hurt my thumb. But recently I havnt been able to get the button to work at all. If it does work the starter sorta just spins. If it does catch it only turns the bike over once or twice. I have a new battery that tests at 12.6 so I jumped it at the solenoid and now theres no click noise or any thing coming from the starter. The weirdest part is I tried pop starting it to go for a ride and now I have no spark! What would cause my spark to just not work like that? I can't really perform a voltage drop without a new solenoid and a button hooked up so anything else I should look at?

2. Rooster53

Rooster53 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Could be related, generally speaking TCI damage is common with cable reversal.

3. Big beard82

Big beard82 New Member

Its just weird that the bike drove fine after I replaced the 20a main. I only started having no spark issues after I messed with the start button. If the start button has no ground would that effect the ignition circuit?

4. Rasput

Rasput Member

I've heard that some bikes have the switches grounded through the handlebars. Maybe the kill switch is acting up. I believe the kill switch would prevent spark.

5. SQLGuy

SQLGuy Well-Known Member

6. Big beard82

Big beard82 New Member

7. Big beard82

Big beard82 New Member

Were back in action! I wired up a new start button and now it fires right away...well when I pop start it that is. I will need to either rebuild the starter or found a new one. I took the starter off and threw 12 volts at her and it spun very slowly and after 2 secs it got even slower and sounded like it was binding up. Sounds just like when I try to start my bike. I'll get 3 cranks very slowly and then it will just quit and I'm left with finding a little hill or running and jumping on the bike if no one is around.