1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

blowing out pilot fuel passages ?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by joejr2, May 10, 2020.

1. joejr2

joejr2 Active Member Premium Member

I have a couple of carbs in a rack of HCS32 Hitachis with clogged pilot fuel passages. I saw a trick on youtube a while back for blowing them out but forgot exactly how it went. I'm going to go through it step by step. Would someone please correct me if I have anything wrong.
    1) plug the pilot air jet with a toothpick
    2) seat the pilot mixture screw ( gently ) all the way in minus the spring washer and "o" ring
    3) squirt carb cleaner into the pilot fuel jet with the red capillary tube tight against the oriface
    as the as the carb cleaner goes through the passage it will exit at the two holes at the top of the carb throat
    I couldn't remember if the cleaner was squirted into to pilot jet itself or down into the hole below the jet.
    Also I think the guy chased the carb cleaner with compressed air to force it through

2. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

My fingers are long...I hold the carb body in my hand, thumb covers the enricher hole and the mixture screw hole, index finger covers enricher tube, middle finger covers idle jet hole, ring finger covers emulsion tube hole. The carb spray can tube is stuck down into the air jet holes under the diaphragm ...... and the forward hole will force the spray through the holes right above the butterfly. I spray til a good strong spray blows out through the holes, and keep it going a good few seconds.

then strong compressed air from every direction through ever hole.

raskal likes this.
  3. joejr2

Tooth pick in pilot air hole. screw in mixture screw without washer and o ring til it seats gently. shoot carb spray down the pilot fuel jet hole
    With the jet removed, push the red spray can tube right up against the inner pilot hole and spray. The spray comes out of the tiny holes at the
    top of the throat unless the tubes are clogged. Then keep shooting spray chased within compressed air until the clog is dissolved. It helps to hold
    back the butterfly flapper to see the spray shoot out of the little holes better. I tried covering all those holes with my fingers, but they wouldn't
    reach. I bet you play the guitar

4. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Banjo, and dulcimer.......
    You have to figure out a way to close off:
    Enrichment tube
    Enrichment plunger
    Mixture screw
    idle jet
    The stick the spray can straw down into the forward (big number) airjet hole under the diaphragm. Then unleash the spray.

5. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

I use a small cap on my cleaner tube that forces into air jet hole to help build up presure. if you have an extra jet you can epoxy a tube into the jet.

or some heat shrink layers on the red tube .

nice part about junk jets is they can be useful to make into cleaning tools ..

hogfiddles likes this.
  6. joejr2

Wow, great suggetions
    I didn't know there are any connections between the enrichment passages and the pilot passages

7. joejr2

I screwed the brass enrichment cap in without the plunger, my compressor gun tube is about the same
    size as the cap hole. I placed my finger over the enrichment port at the top of the carb throat and then
    squirted in some carb cleaner. Sliding the compressor gun tube immediately after into the enrichment cap hole,
    I blasted some air in and saw the fluid squirt out of the brass tube at the bottom of the carb.

8. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member