1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

cylinder #2 does not fire? Cold exhaust.

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Victor Hugo, May 14, 2020.

1. Victor Hugo

Victor Hugo New Member

Hi guys, I've been trying to find out why exhaust no. 2 is cold to the touch all others are plenty hot. I noticed it after I accidentally touched my exhaust pipe.

While riding, the engine still runs smooth after it's warmed up.

The spark plug is OK, I've switched the plug with #1 and #1 still gets hot.

I think the carb is the problem, I let my bike idle w/choke and my exhaust no. 2 gets hot, but with no choke my exhaust no. 2 starts to get cold.

Last week I had off the carbs of the bike, they all seemed fine and had no vacuum leaks. I cleaned them but I still have the problem.

Any guesses?

2. Ben Hinz

Ben Hinz Member

I had this issue when my float fuel levels were out of spec. The one cylinder that wouldn't fire when cold was a few millimetres too low. If those are all in spec, you may have some debris in the pilot jet/passage, any amount of gunk in there is going to cause issues.

Franz likes this.
  3. joejr2

joejr2 Active Member Premium Member

Doesn't the pilot fuel system supply most of the fuel up to about 20 mph the the main system kicks in ?

4. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

yes up to 2k to 3 k rpm you run off of pilots.

could be air jets are reversed mixture screw needs a little more adjusting sync off for that carb or pilot jet circuit is dirty/bad parts mixed up jets

5. joejr2

joejr2 Active Member Premium Member

I had a similar problem a while back and it was a loose connection in the spark plug boot

XJ550H likes this.