1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Stuck Fasteners: The Hammer and Chisel method

Discussion in 'XJ DIY How-To Instructions' started by MacMcMacmac, Apr 6, 2007.

1. MacMcMacmac

MacMcMacmac Member

Ok, I know Rick has probably blanched at the title of this thread, but this is a very effective method for undoing very stubborn nuts and bolts.

What you need:

A hammer...a chisel....some patience.

If you are like me, the first two are the easy bits and the last is a constant challenge. Usually, I reach for my tube of patience only to find it rolled up tightly and completely empty. Sadly, my drawer full of cuss words remains chock full of both metric and imperial sizes, well oiled and well used.

Anyhow, what you do, it take your cold chisel (sharp and appropriately sized) and place it on the periphery of the stuck fastener. The cutting edge of the chisel should be at an oblique angle to the outer surface, so it bites into the metal, but doesn't deform the fastener, making it even harder to remove. Lightly tap the chisel so that it is both biting into the fastener head, and imparting a turning force. What you are doing is much the same as what an impact wrench does, both shocking and turning the fastener a bit at at time. Naturally, if you are replacing the fastener, or if it is made of robust materials (as well as the parts they are fastening) you can approach the task with a bit more gusto. USE GOOD JUDGEMENT! Getting the parts apart is pointless if they are ruined, unless there is absolutely no alternative. You can impart quite a bit of torque with this method, and I have used it successfully several time, most notably to remove the torx head bolts holding the bearing retainer plate on the output shaft bearing, which had been poorly peened into place at the factory, and consequently suffered from a deformed head which I couldn't get a driver into. Just last weekend I removed about 8 stuck float bowl screws on my carburetors this way. This shows that the method works even on delicate parts, given sufficient patience and a light touch. I was even able to reuse all the screws.

2. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

Take exception to this Method?
    No way!
    The "Chisel Method" ... is Solid Old School. But, not universally applied to ALL stuck fasteners.

But, even Case-Hardened Old-Schooler's, like me, find it pretty difficult not to step-up to the CRAFTSMAN Hand-held Impact Tool.

With these "New fangled" Extractor's they got ... you can get-out just-about any fastener resisting conventional method.

I have even "Crossed-over" to not saving and reusing fasteners that "are deformed" in any way.

You'll come-over to the Dark Side; too ... shortly after an errant blow fractures a Fuel Bowl. I know!

Ben-nare; done-'nat!

3. Robert

Robert Active Member

Impact wrench has saved my bacon countless times. No float screw too tight for me yet.

4. PainterD

PainterD Active Member

I can truefully say I've used all the before mentioned methods to remove old stubborn screws. If the hand-held impack tool does not work (openings are usually stripped) I end up using the old (chisel and screw driver method) to get the screw out. I've been using the chisel method since I was a kid and it always works.
    I keep a good selection of metric screws on hand and replace everyone that looks shabby. I've had the habit of keeping all the metric screws, bolts and nuts from all the bikes I've dismantled over the years and they come in quite handy at times.

5. Hvnbnd

Hvnbnd Active Member

Wonder if someone has an idea how to take old time mag locks off.

I bought a rather old truck that had mag locks in it, the old fashion kind that have a funky patttern on the head that you put a key in that has a lugnut head on it.

Seems I can't get the key from PO

Thought about welding a lug nut on the head but that would mess up the mags.... I even thought about the good ol chistle.

I'm open to suggestions.

6. Flashgp

Flashgp Member

I used one of the new extractors from Sears for this. Sears item #00952161000 Mfr. model #52161 It will bite into the outside of the round locking lug. I hate those mag locks. I have had two "keys" break while trying to remove the wheels.

7. Hvnbnd

Hvnbnd Active Member

And those will come with a size that will fit over the round lock nut?

8. Robert

Robert Active Member

Yup, they sure do! Work even better with an impact gun. A hammer and chisel will work if your really careful and soak the offending lock with some PB Blaster or like penetrant.

9. Hvnbnd

Hvnbnd Active Member

Right On!

I'll give em a try...... with the impact gun.

Thanks

10. DarthBob

DarthBob Member

I'm looking for some ideas for a stuck fastener. I'm trying to take the side engine cover off to replace the chain and sprockets, and its held on by three 5mm allen bolts. One came off easy, one took a little work, and one is stuck fast. And its right below the gear selector nub, and its startging to get stripped. The bolt is slightly recessed in the cover, so would an impact extractor work? and can I get just one or do I have to buy a whole set? I have some easy-outs somewhere, but I've had limited success with them; they usually break whatever I'm extracting. The hammer and chisel method looks intriguing, but I would need a really small chisel and I can see myself hitting it across the shiny cover. Any tips or tricks?

11. dburnettesr

dburnettesr Member

Darthbob I'm not real clear on if you have tried the hand impact wrench or not. but if not an it takes 1 more to say you have not lived till you have used 1 of these an will be very pleased these are surely 1 of the best things to have...will pay for itself over an over,,,,it's like how do live without it kind of tool,,,,,,,,,,breaking a bolt or stud is the last thing you want to do,,,,rule #1 don't break it....

12. RickCoMatic

One of the most essential Tools for an XJ Toolbox is a Hand-held Impact Tool.
    The Impact Tool comes with a 1/2" Drive for Sockets and the Bit Holding End.
    You can put a reducer on the end and have an Allen Socket that will fit in there.
    If the Metric Allen Bit is beginning to lose its bite you can drive in a Standard Sized Allen and then use the Impact to free it up.
    Once you get that Bolt out of there; replace it with a new one from a well stocked Hardware Store that carries Metric Sized Cap Screws.

When you put it together; use some NeverSeize Compound on the threads so you don't have to go through this difficult an extraction again.

13. jswag5

jswag5 Member

broken bleeder screw, snapped the easy out inside the bleeder valve. im open to suggestions.

14. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

You drill it out and try again, adding heat and some impact tapping,

You take it to a machine shop that wants to mess with it,

You buy another caliper for $10,

You plug the line, and ride with 1 front brake. 8O

15. RickCoMatic

Take the Caliper to your Regional Technical High School.
    Go to the Machine Shop and show the Caliper to the Head of the Machine Shop Department.

Ask him if he'll have a Student (or himself) disintegrate the broken-off Easy-out with the Shop's EDM Machine.

The EDM Machine will precisely remove all the steel Easy-out.
    If you explain that there is also a fragment of the Bleeder Valve in there, too ... they can set-up the Machine to remove some of the inside diameter of the Bleeder while the Easy-out is being destroyed.

You'll save that Caliper and give the Machine Shop Class a Golden Opportunity to do a "Real World Job" saving you the Caliper and some money!

16. jswag5

jswag5 Member

wheres these $10 calipers??????