1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Fuel line replacement

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Cole C., May 17, 2020.

1. Cole C.

Cole C. New Member

Hi, I just bought a xj550 maxim and replaced the plugs and did some wiring work and it was running great. I did notice some dry rot and cracking in the fuel lines so I went to a hardware store bought similar line of the same size and pulled the old one off. However, I did not know the fuel rail inlet rotated. I’ve tried and tried to get the new line on that nipple while the carbs are on the bike. Is there any tips and tricks to get it back on? Or do I need to take the carbs off to put the fuel line back on?

Thank you,

2. lostboy

lostboy Well-Known Member

You can try warming the end of the hose with a hair dryer or use hot water to make it softer. Using open flame is a no no. The tee in carb dose swivel make sure it points up. Now is a good time to install an in line filter.

3. joejr2

joejr2 Active Member Premium Member

I use medical forceps of varying lengths. The blue gas line works the best, put a little
    silicone grease on a Q tip and swab the inside of the tubing sparingly and it slides easily
    onto the fuel inlet.

4. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

I think you just need to by the correct size fuel line, which by the way, is a very THIN WALL design for these bikes. If you bough fuel line for an automotive application and/or rated for fuel injection, then it's a very stiff thick-wall fuel line, which --- even if it is the same nominal ID --- will be a tough fit.