1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

R1 front end slowly but surely

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by Stephen Downey, Apr 4, 2020.

1. Stephen Downey

Stephen Downey Member

Resized_20200402_180947.jpeg 20200402_181919.jpg Resized_20200402_181117.jpeg 20200402_181919.jpg Resized_20200402_180947.jpeg Resized_20200402_181117.jpeg

2. Stephen Downey

Stephen Downey Member

Would like a 550 or 650 seca gas tank for this

3. Morgan Ensminger

Morgan Ensminger New Member

damn, thats badass

4. 50gary

50gary Active Member

Have you had a chance to measure the rake angle while the bike is on it's wheels? I have a R1 front end (2000) going on my 82 750 Maxim. I gotta buy some tires soon.
    Cheers, 50gary

Noah Olson likes this.
  5. Stephen Downey

Stephen Downey Member

I have not measured yet. Yes sir I also need a front tire and front end came off a 2000, the forks have some scratches, guess I'll learn to anodize lol but they're straight that's what I really cared about. So, haven't measured and was just looking at a firing order post im waiting on brake lines and then just rewire/reconnect everything. My ignition literally fell apart so that will be deleted and a toggle in its place. Good luck with yours I think they're nice projects

6. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Are you going to monoshock the rear of the bike? I wonder if those forks would fit the 900f? Looks good.

7. 50gary

50gary Active Member

Thanks for the reply, I hope to have 25/26 degree rake, I may have to cut the head tube off and re-weld it? My forks were also scratched and I just powder coated them they look fine.
    My seat and taillight are from a 2004 R1. Both of which were a ton of work to mount.
    Cheers, 50gary

8. Stephen Downey

Stephen Downey Member

That's awesome I'd like to see pix of that r1 seat mount! And I also considered that taillight not sure atm what I'll do but for now I have that strip that is the signals and brake that has a peel off stick mount I'll use somehow. Franz im not sure about 900 fitment it seems I've seen one done like that but not 100%, and I'm considering mono shock but, this is not my daily anymore and for now after the front is working I'm going to focus on rings and wall hone and valve clearances and do carbs again. Bc something is just a little off there so gauges and color tune I hope will help. Best of luck guys!

9. Stephen Downey

Stephen Downey Member

20200414_085159.jpg

steber likes this.
  10. Stephen Downey

Stephen Downey Member

I know I wanted a seca tank, thanks again riu the people who offered, I found this and I like it, I can make spots to bolt it by where the rubber peices go. Thinking metallic black?

11. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Looks like a old military registration sticker on that left down tube. That looks so nice, tank from a BMW? I love the look and performance of the USD forks, would love to find a good set in a reasonable price range.

12. Stephen Downey

Stephen Downey Member

That is a military sticker nice catch, that tank is a cheap Ebay tank sold as benelli something. These forks have some scratches but they're straight and that was most important straight and cheap.

13. a100man

a100man Well-Known Member

nice thing about a new tank is that you can weld without explosion fears..
    Mind you you don't want to blow a hole in it - I bet it's thin..

Stephen Downey likes this.
  14. 50gary

50gary Active Member

Excuse me for asking but what ignition coils do you have? I'm thinking perhaps that I would upgrade from my stock coils.
    Cheers, 50gary

15. 50gary

50gary Active Member

Answering my own question (I finally got my bike on it's own two new wheels) from post #4 about the rake angle after fitting the 2000 R1 fork/wheel/tire (Pirelli Diablo Rosso III 120/70/17")
    is 25.2 degrees, 5.5" ground clearance, 56" wheelbase. All right on target from my calculations. The rear tire is also Diablo Rosso III in 140/70/17"
    centered on a 3.50" x 17" matching pattern, and 8mm tire to left swingarm clearance. Just a little data for those that may be interested in the swap.
    Cheers, 50gary

Carlosrter and Stephen Downey like this.
  16. Stephen Downey

Stephen Downey Member

Awesome thanks for that info, it was today I noticed the coils are Andrews and I'm not sure they're OK As I'm reading posts regarding ignition problems and I've ordered stock replacements. I took the carbs off a year ago they've been to church cleaned synced wet tested. It was not smart to buy something like coils used I've been a dog chasing my tail with these carbs so, hopefully after coils caps and plugs i can finally actually ride it a little before paint, cleanup and m unit. Thanks again i would like a 140 rear as well

17. Stephen Downey

Stephen Downey Member

That 04 R1 seat looks the same as my fz8 seat and I would love to see how you did that on an xj. The seat is a whole other can of worms that needs attention, no idea how to start