1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Simmy's Naked Turbo Project

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by Simmy, Feb 25, 2017.

1. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

There was just enough room to fit the pump a little lower to fit under the RJ tank.
    The wiring loom will fit right beside the pump.
    pump installed.JPG

Franz and jayrodoh like this.
  2. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

I like how you mounted that pump, creative and effective.

3. lostboy

lostboy Well-Known Member

I like how you stuck with metric bolts. You have an eye for details .

4. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

Thanks guys, the pump came with the mounting clamps and I had the clamps to go around the frame left over from a previous project.
    It's a crowded cavity now and not something I'm looking forward to emptying, next time I need to pull the carbs.
    I connected 12V to the OEM pump and couldn't get it to move. Reversed the voltage trying to rock it back and forth but no luck.
    I've read some have revived them by soaking in various solvents, tapping and reversing voltage etc. I have no use for it, just wondered if it still worked.
    I'm waiting for a few terminal ends from Chacal so I can still use the same Yamaha 2-wire connector block to connect the pump to the original wiring.
    I haven't installed any dedicated fuse for this pump, the OEM circuit is all tied back to the 10A ignition fuse so what protected the OEM pump should be good for this one.

In regards to the vacuum tubing, I will have 3 separate hose systems not connected to each other.
    I've illustrated this below
    vacuum plumbing.jpg

5. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

the boost gauge came with 1/4" nipples so I bought some hi pressure 1/4" fuel hose and downsized it to the 4 or 5 mm hose of the original turbo hose.

IMG_0942.JPG
    I mail ordered a $12 mechanical boost gauge I'm going to hook to the plastic tee above in the pic.
    I'd like to try running the bike at 15 pounds boost to start the shake down runs.
    Once it's running nice I'll remove this tee and run the hose directly from the turbo to the boost controller and eliminate the gauge.

I'm planning to hook up a bicycle pump and pressure gauge and statically set the thing to pop at 15 psi.
    That should get me close to 15 psi dynamically measured when on the bike.

IMG_0938.JPG
    I found one supplier in the US which sold these.
    there were plastic ones but they were the same price.
    3/16" fits the OEM Yamaha hose, which I have a length on order from Chacal

IMG_0943.JPG
    I had these fittings on hand. The red colour bothers me so I might have to paint them black.
    One of them will actually show.
    IMG_0947.JPG
    I'm going to mount the boost gauge here on the left in front of the battery so you can access it by removing the side cover.
    I thought there would be room under the seat but there's already enough stuff there making access to the air filter difficult, I didn't change anything there, that's the way they are.

6. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

all other XJ's are a pain in the ass when it comes to mounting the air box.
    The Turbo is in 2 pieces (surge tank & air filter housing) and can be the last thing installed.
    I tried fitting this assembly twice with the filter falling out of the housing before I had it in place.
    not gonna be a 3rd time, I put 2 small swabs of goop to hold it in place so waiting for it to set at the moment.

filt.JPG

IMG_0949.JPG
    air box cavity

7. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

I'll probably take some flack for not immediately fixing the fuse box but it passes the visual for now.
    This bike was never stored in the rain so it's probably as good as any of them from 1982.
    fusb.JPG

Eventually I'll install a new fuse block into the OEM box like I did on my FZ.
    It actually accepts a longer fuse than this Japanese standard used by Yamaha.
    I like using glass fuses, old school.

IMG_0951.JPG
    I found these at an electronic clearance house. They were cheap so I bought enough to do all 3 of my old Yamahas.
    The Seca on my sidecar is still running with the original box but that bike has barely seen any rain.

Attached Files:

8. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

I ordered a bunch of 90 degree barbed hose fittings for the 8 mm gas lines.
    I'm going to put some in this line running between the pump and the regulator so it fits up tighter under the tank.

IMG_0952.JPG

9. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

I stripped the petcock down and simmered it in my ultrasound tank then blasted it myself with baking soda.
    There was a black tar like goo in there.
    Replaced all the rubber components and installed a new wave washer.
    I installed new filters but also put a filter between the tank and the fuel pump

IMG_0940.JPG

IMG_0941.JPG

chacal likes this.
  10. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

allwireduppp.JPG
    Doesn't look like much but except for a few connectors for the tail light all wiring is complete.
    Replacement coils are on my wish list. I have new plug caps to go on.
    I also bought the OEM style straps for the wiring loom I need to install same place they were originally.
    The zip ties are only temporary.

boost controller plumbing.JPG
    you can see the cheap aquarium tubing running from the tee in the line just before the boost controller.
    Once I've set my boost controller I'll take the tee and the plastic hose out of the circuit.

boost gauge.JPG
    This cheap Chinese boost gauge will only be temporary so I'm going to mount it in place of the left mirror for tuning.
    I can make up a simple bracket to hold it.
    I don't want to clutter the appearance of the twin clocks of the RJ with Chinese crap.
    turboplumbed.JPG
    All new turbo vac lines to and from the Turbo.
    frame tab.JPG
    The Turbo and a few other XJ's (750 Seca I think is another) have these tabs on each side of the frame to hold different grab handles.
    When I powdercoated the frame I left them in place thinking they were not in the way of anything.
    The one on the RH side actually interferes with the seat when hinged open so I took the die grinder to my beautiful shiny frame.
    I touched it up with a brush already.
    The wheels are off the bike for mounting new tires.
    I'm actually getting close to firing this up.

11. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

Once I have a roller I'll just take it to a local bike shop who makes custom brake lines.
    I'm planning to keep the RJ brake hose splitter so I will need 3 separate hoses.
    The top hose should be same as 650RJ but the bottom lines need to be custom fit for the FZ calipers.
    I still need to rebuild the master cylinder.

12. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

Temporary boost gauge mounted in place of left mirror. Even painted it black.

boost gauge mount.JPG

13. dkavanagh

dkavanagh Well-Known Member Premium Member

Start it already! :)

14. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

yep getting real close.
    Wheels are being dropped off tomorrow for Bridgestone Battleaxe BT45’s. Time to buy a battery now to.
    Need to flush out the fuel tank and could start it to synchronize the carbs. Still no front brakes.

15. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

can anyone explain what #27 does? No other XJ seems to list it.

MjE5MDM1MQ-20fcbbd7.png

16. lostboy

Is it a hold down for the gas tank or seat?

17. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

It holds the gas tank in place.........unlike non-Seca tanks, the rear mounting flange is not visible/accessible on the Seca tanks, the rear edge of the actual tank "hides" the mounting flange. That clip slides over the bolt (#7) and clips over the tank metal brace, thus holding the rear of the tank down.

Last edited: May 19, 2020
    Franz likes this.
  18. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

Ah, that explains why I have such a hell of a time getting my other Seca together with just the bolt.

19. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

the FZ600 donor bike came with an aftermarket front fender and it was missing the peanuts underneath holding the captive nuts.
    The way the fender was gooned on was worthy of the DPO hall of shame. Remember the same idiot had the variable dampers in upside down.
    I spent a couple hours last night fabricating the peanuts and drilled the hole for the speedo cable grommet.
    frontfender.JPG

Franz and jayrodoh like this.
  20. lostboy

Remember this when wielding "Grinder and paint makes me the wielder I an't".

dkavanagh likes this.