1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What did you do to your Yamaha today?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Cutlass84, Jun 4, 2007.

1. dkavanagh

dkavanagh Well-Known Member Premium Member

2. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

That's looking good - will it be a single seater? Guess not with those pegs on. Some vmax cues I recognise from that era - front wheel style, footpegs, head "finned" casting. There were a few of these around ebay and so on in the UK, not so many now, perhaps it's for the best..

3. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

No, standard build. The seats and backrest are new covers from xj4ever.

4. Tim O

Tim O Active Member

So I normally try to keep my Seca 100% Stock. But, the side panels are so oxidized in the "Black Area" they are pretty much silver all over and the black just looks dirty.

Thoughts on the carbon fiber look?

upload_2020-5-14_14-56-34.png

Jetfixer, NEEDtoRIDE, chacal and 4 others like this.
  5. jaxcob93

jaxcob93 New Member

Replaced front brake lines with braided steel and the rear shoes. The original Yamaha ones looked to have lots of wear left but they still went on the shelf as “in a pinch” parts. Tires are ordered and once those come in I’ll be riding more regularly and motivated to fix the Atari cms and get the carbs dialed in perfectly. She idles and moves just fine now, just a flat spot around 4K to work out

6. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

This has made me think about my own frame up build. It's an xj900f, frame, engine and airbox. I have a 650 maxim tank which I like the look of, but it doesn't quite fit the frame. Is there another, wider at the base that might fit? I've compemplated splitting the tank and letting a wedge into it, but it seems a bit drastic.
    The rest of the bike is waiting for a suitable xj900 diversion, the plan being to rob wheels and forks off it. Yes it might be nice to have wire spoked wheels, but better suspension tyres and brakes are high on the agenda.

7. hogfiddles

I like that.... subtle. If there were more, j probably wouldn’t like it. But that is good——,do it on the sides of the tail cowl where that blackout is, too.

Tim O likes this.
  8. hogfiddles

This afternoon’s progress—- a few NOS parts that have never been out of the box.....and new seat covers from xj4ever
    27C7E2A7-C0E2-462D-8868-FE9434C7D25E.jpeg
    F0DC5D4B-9697-4ACE-BAB6-00A32FF2DD93.jpeg

Last edited: May 14, 2020
    jaxcob93 and Rusty81 like this.
  9. Jonathon Kent

Jonathon Kent Member

Yay for upstate!!! Not!!!! Dang snow

xj6504lyfe likes this.
  10. Tim O

Tim O Active Member

Thanks!
    I was thinking of that because it too is pretty "cloudy" and dirty looking.
    But, like you, I'm thinking too much of the stuff will make the bike look cheap... "From the 'hood" so to speak. :confused:

11. xj6504lyfe

xj6504lyfe Member

Aaand now its 82 out.

Rusty81 likes this.
  12. hogfiddles

And under tornado warning

xj6504lyfe likes this.
  13. Joris

Joris Member

I decide to part out my XJ900F.
    A couple of weeks ago I had started to rebuild her after 10 years of standing still, but I found just too much expensive repairs.
    One of which was that the head was apparently warped so that exhaust gasses passed over the gasket to the opening of one of the studs.

I will put an advert in the for sale section.

Attached Files:

14. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Well the starter clutch is getting worse get bike hot and slips you have to try it several times and then catches been getting , I've been in denial well guess it is time...to swap out engine for the spare engine I've had for 2 years . Bought engine off Joe Eliff ( thanks Joe) all we know is bike it came from had 38k , I did a compression check all good 120 to 130psi ...I have. To check valves and going to pull oil pan to check for anything hinky . My goal is if engine is good , tear down original and replace starter clutch at some point.

15. Joe White

Joe White Member

The vision is slowly coming into focus. The gas tank is NOS perfection. The fuse box is Georgia Jackal stock (thanks Len). The headlight & instruments are flea bay specials

Attached Files:

Franz, Rusty81 and Minimutly like this.
  16. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Looking good Joe! But........what is that on the ignition key?

XJ550H likes this.
  17. Joe White

Joe White Member

It’s just a raggedy piece of leather, it came with the bike. Near as I can tell, when the PO wasn’t busy hacking away at superficial components, like fuse boxes or brake master cylinders and in between the monthly crashes, then he entertained himself by attaching his motorcycle key (with the leather fob) to a twenty foot chain and dragging it around Texas on every caliche road he could find. Based on fob wear, I’d say it has at least 50,000 miles under its belt. When I brought the bike home, that raggedy piece of leather was the best looking part of the bike.

chacal likes this.
  18. Jonathon Kent

Jonathon Kent Member

Got my master cylinder rebuild from Len, tore the master cylinder apart. Got it rebuilt. Did a bleed from the bottom end of the system. Forced fluid from the bleeder screw all the way to master cylinder. Wow what a difference; to have brakes again. And of course the moment I had brakes again the moment came very quickly when a solid apply came... fricking old lady didn’t see me over her steering wheel. Just made me appreciate having rebuilt the master cylinder myself and having bled the system. However I got the bike nice and hot on the back roads; fun fact that I learned about my bike it can hit 60 mph in second gear!!!! That was awesome and the engine screams for more! I love my 650. And to all who have done small write ups of registering bikes through the Vermont dmv. Thank you; this took a while to get cleared but my Harley sportster is finally registered to me from a passing relative and they, along with myself were very worried that the bike would get caught up in the legal system to pay medical bills.

Simmy likes this.
  19. Jonathon Kent

Jonathon Kent Member

Got myself and the old lady on the 650 today and rode to Dansville. Which is about an hour long ride. Cruised at nearly 80 mph for a good long while. That bike pulls like crazy!

20. SQLGuy

SQLGuy Well-Known Member

Removed the oil cooler adapter plate so I could add an O-ring to it (had sealed it with Yamabond, but that didn't seem to be quite good enough). Made a tool to cut the groove in it and started cutting it in the lathe... got the groove about halfway done, but had other things I needed to do. Will try to finish and reassemble it tomorrow.