1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

82 xj650 leaking oil. Maybe the turbo?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by jarman_nick, May 24, 2020.

Tags:
  1. jarman_nick

jarman_nick New Member

Hey guys, I’ve recently purchased an 82 xj650 and I believe the turbo is leaking oil.

When I get into boost burnt oil smoke comes out the exhaust and it only does it when I hit boost. I’m wondering if I need to buy a rebuild kit and re build it but want to make sure there isn’t anything else I can do to trouble shoot the issue.

It also leaks oil out of the exhaust manifold. I figure the turbo is pushing oil back into the engine but I’m not sure. If that is the case will I need to clean out the carbs and/or anything else?

any information on this would be very helpful. Thank you!

P.S I tried searching the forum for similar issues but am having a hard time finding posts about the issue.

2. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

@jarman_nick welcome, your problem is a common occurrence with the Seca Turbo.
    Not too many turbo'd vehicles place the turbo at the lowest point in the lubrication circuit.
    There is lots of info at https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/tmioa22687/yamaha-seca-650-turbo-f10/

If you look through my post https://xjbikes.com/forums/threads/simmys-naked-turbo-project.110254/page-6
    on page 6 I start trouble shooting the same issue, oil pooling down in the turbo.

The turbo seals need to leak some oil to ensure oil gets everywhere its needed.
    So if the oil is allowed to go there with gravity it will continue to seep past the seals and collect in the exhaust.
    Yamaha solved this by installing a check valve in the line to the turbo. There is a guy on the Turbo Forum who rebuilds these check valves, XJ4ever can probably help also.
    I tested mine and found it to be functioning so my problem was not the oil feed to the turbo.
    I focused on the scavenge line from the turbo back to the oil pump.
    There are some rubber o-rings at the pump I replaced but I think the problem is the swiping surfaces of the scavenge side of the oil pump itself.
    I took the idea from the Turbo Forum of mounting another check valve in the return oil line and there are pics in my thread.
    They are cheap and easily bought on e-bay.

Put your bike in your signature, make sure you identify more than 82 XJ650.

jarman_nick likes this.