1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

xj1100 no turn signals! please help

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by aries101, May 24, 2020.

1. aries101

aries101 Member

Hello i have an 82 xj1100. Turn signals stopped working. Im going to give you the whole story because it may help you diagnose. So signals stappoed working, check and fuse was blown. Replaced fuse and nothing. Replaced all bulbs, fuses (yes upgraded to spade fuses), checked and cleaned out turn signal switch and made sure it had good ground contact. Replaced flasher relay. Tried disconnecting turn signal cancel relay(read if it was bad signals would flash when disconnected, they didnt). Now if i turn on my emergency flashers i am able to get the right turn signal to flash. That is it and im hoping that will tell enough to to diagnose how to fix. Please let me know if theres any thing im missing and where to go next .
    Thank you!

2. Rooster53

Rooster53 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Was that the 20A signal fuse?

Just to clarify the flasher relay and not the hazard relay?

The hazard relay should bypass the turn signal switch, the flasher relay, and the auto cancel unit. So that is right side front and back flashing in hazard mode selected? Is it safe to assume the left side is not illuminated when the right side is flashing in hazard mode selected?

When trying to turn on turn signal flasher with hazard off do the turn signals light?

3. aries101

aries101 Member

Well now i am not sure of the flasher i replaced. I thought there was only one. I replaced the circular flasher relay that hangs right behind the battery. As for using the hazards, yes only the right side illuminates the left side does not. Trying the turn signal (either side)with flashers off, the signals will not light.

4. aries101

aries101 Member

Also it was a 10 amp fuse that blew. Not sure which one. Since the conversion im not sure which is which. Just know it wasnt the 20 amp.

5. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

XJ1100 models:

Flasher: on a tab bracket welded behind the right side frame cover, near the fusebox.
    Flasher canceller: on a "skinny" tab bracket welded in-between the upper frame rails, to the rear of the ignition coils.
    Identification:- large rectangular plastic relay, inked "Nippondenso FU257CD and DOT 6944" or similar on the large face.
    - plugs into a 3-space, T-shaped black connector shell which has the following set of wires going to it:
    Harness connector wire colors:
    * Yellow wire with green tracer stripe (for the "C" terminal on the relay)
    * Brown wire with white tracer stripe (for the "L" terminal on the relay),
    * Black solid wire (for the "B" terminal on the relay).

Hazard Flasher Relay:
    Location:- on XJ1100 models, behind the battery, on the left side of bike.

Identification:- small round metal "can" relay with two terminals.

Harness connector wire colors:
    * Brown wire with a yellow tracer stripe
    * Red wire with a yellow tracer stripe
    Note: the black plastic connector shell that is used with this relay is a unique "L" shaped connector, the only one of its kind on the entire bike.

6. aries101

aries101 Member

Looks like i replaced the hazard flasher. Ill tru the signal flasher next.

7. Rooster53

So per the XJ catalog you did replace the hazard flasher - I suspect they both did the same flashing only the right side?

The only prints I have indicate that the Signal fuse is supposed to be 20 amp, although 10 amp should be OK as that is what is used on the other XJ's that look to run identical circuits from Signal power. Anyway, just to be sure double check those fuses. The fuse for the hazard is the main fuse, so the turn signals could fail to operate because of no power but when hazard is selected they would function normally.

There could be a couple of problems - when selecting the hazard mode with the right side flashing and the left not that should be fairly straightforward. The hazard relay would be OK, but from there either the hazard switch is not working as it should or there are opens in the wiring harness, sockets, or bulbs on the left side.

As for the turn signals I would start with verifying power to the flasher relay (Br wire), and then from there maybe swap out the relay if you have one handy. If you don't have a relay a good check is to just temporarily short from Br to Br/W on the flasher relay mating plug. Normally, when doing this then the bulbs left or right should illuminate when the turn signal selector is moved to the left or right selection, respectively. However, with the XJ1100 the Br/W wire is routed through the Hazard Switch so if both sides were not illuminating with the shorted plug then the hazard switch could be at fault.

Disconnecting the Cancel Unit is an option but is only a value added step when the turn signals fail to illuminate at all as the Self Cancelling Unit can disable the Flasher Relay.

And just to be sure 27W bulbs were used as the original? The bulbs will still illuminate with lower wattage bulbs but the flasher will not function.

Last edited: May 26, 2020
  8. XJ550H

Signal and headlight 20 amp tail 10 amp ignition 10 amp Main 30

1982 XJ1100 10M-000101

xj1100fuse.PNG

Last edited: May 26, 2020
  9. aries101

aries101 Member

Update: so to me this is more confusing than ever but maybe to someone more knowledgeable it will give a clue to whats wrong. so i got another flasher to test if that was problem. Still no turn signals, but, when i turned on the emergency light both sides worked for a short time. But then went back to the right side just working. Dont know what that means maybe someone does. My best guess was that there was a short somewhere near the flasher plug. So i wiggled the wire around trying to get the miricle to repeat itself but it never did. I have some time tomorrow i will try to short br/brw and let you know result. Thankyou for wire diagram but it is a little over my head, maybe if i had a key it would mame more sense. Oh and the bulbs i replaced say 26.9 watts so i assume they the right ones?

10. XJ550H

The picture I posted above Wells for the fuse values they seem to be some confusion on this.

11. XJ550H

What flasher did you replace the flasher with an oem one? I would look at the connectors to make sure they're tight and clean. Sometimes if the bike is not running the directions and flashers will not work properly, flashers and directionals can be finicky with the voltage being put into them. Maybe you need to charge your battery.

12. aries101

aries101 Member

Well i jumped the br/brw and got no light for either side. Checked each wire both had power although only showed 10.1 volts for one and .1 for thhe other. Should be 12 volts right? Batt reads at 12.5

13. aries101

aries101 Member

Ran the bike for a bit to get some charge to batt and checked again br read 14 brw read .1. Tried to jump br/brw again still no light to either turn signal.

14. Rooster53

A bit confusing on what you are measuring, but if you jumper the Br and Br/W at the flasher relay mating plug, then you should definitely have 12V on both the Br, and Br/W since they are shorted together. I think what you are saying is that the other Br/W that goes to the turn signal switch is not hot (12V), which it should be. That would point to an issue with the Hazard Switch. You can take that one step further and jumper the Br and Br/W at the flasher relay mating connector, and then also jumper the Br/W to Br/W at the hazard switch. That way you can verify that the bulbs, turn signal switch, and wiring are OK as the selected side should illuminate when the flasher switch is moved to left or right position.

upload_2020-6-9_14-21-25.png

15. aries101

aries101 Member

Okay jumper br to brw then brw to brw at the emergency switch, and behold! We have light! Both sides light up when i turn signal switch. So this means im in the market for a new switch. Thankyou guys i will update again when i can track one down.

16. aries101

aries101 Member

Final update: opened up hazard switch which was way simpler than i thought it would be looked like one of the wire go hot and warped the plastic so not all cotacts were hitting. Also it was dirty and corroded so a couple scrapes with a razor blade and a little rub with some steel wool and she was good to go. Thankyou guys so much for your help in getting me back on the road!!! This place is great!

Rooster53 likes this.
  17. Rooster53

It might be a good idea to apply some dielectric grease there to prevent future corrosion as well as the turn signal sockets and bulbs. And, back to the originating post you did have a fuse blow, so if you clean things up and apply the grease keep an eye out for possible chafed wires that might find chassis and blow the fuse.