1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Looking for a carb rebuilder

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by arborgent, May 28, 2020.

1. arborgent

arborgent New Member

Hey all, just picked up a shiny red '82 550 Seca yesterday on the side of the road for a couple hundy. Gonna be a project bike. It more or less runs, but the carbs definitely need some work. Its been neglected. Stalls out if you don't keep it revved up. Took it out for a test ride today, and after driving for about ten minutes it started to bog down and stall out...wouldn't run again til it cooled down a bit. The petcock is also junk, if left in the "ON" position while the bike is off gas just keeps flowing and will start running out through the air box, I have to put it in the RES position to stop the flow. Not sure if this a contributing factor in the bogging down/stalling out issue I had today, but in any case I've got a message in to Chacal about ordering a new one.

Anyways, in my line of work I'm not gonna have much of a free minute until the winter and I would like to ride this thing a few times this summer. Looking for someone out there I could hire to clean and rebuild the carbs for me. I suppose I could find a local mechanic, but figured I'd throw it out here first since it seems like a bunch of you are intimately familiar with all the ins and outs of this machine. If you're interested I could mail the carb assembly to you, or even drive it over if you're not too far from central Mass. Hit me up if you're interested or if you can point me to someone who can help. Thanks.

2. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

hogfiddles, Franz and jayrodoh like this.
  3. arborgent

arborgent New Member

Thanks for tip, I'll drop him a line.

4. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Arborgent.....i sent you a private message for contact info