1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

XJ600 motor on 1985 yamaha tri-z 250

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by johnnyb, Jan 18, 2008.

1. johnnyb

johnnyb New Member

I built this trike... I had a 1994 yamaha SECAII (XJ600) that i bought for 1,000... i rode a shitload of miles on last spring and summer... but it was kinda hobbled together, it had nina front forks with dual brakes... the front seals started leaking, and something was wrong with the chain adjustment it kept coming out of adjustment after only a few miles and finally the chain came off on me while i was on the highway and i skidded to a stop, and put the bike away. i wanted to get a xb12r firebolt for a while anways....

anyways i took one of my tri-z 250s and used parts from the seca II to build the trike.

Video:

tri-z 250 + streetbike motor + stock tires (Click for video)
    [​IMG]

tri-z + xj600 motor = garage burnoffs (Click for video)
    [​IMG]

Pictures:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. johnnyb

johnnyb New Member

unfortunatly this happened: it hydrolocked with gas, it had never happened before but it filled the cylinders with gas while it was sitting, i went to start it up and it fired then went boom :(

i'm hoping it doesn't cost too much to rebuilt this thing. it needs two new valves, a valve job, a rod, and four pistons.

The reason i found this site is to ask if there are any other XJ motors with the same block and everything... just bigger. like a 750 or 1000. That will bolt in place of the XJ600 motor.

I want more power than this 600 has, it was pretty damn fast, but i want more 8)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. johnnyb

johnnyb New Member

after some searching it looks like there is a XJ900 "diverson"

the motor looks the same externally. maybe this is what i'm looking for... i wonder how much hp it is...

4. johnnyb

johnnyb New Member

eh i guess its only sold outside the US.

wouldn't be exactly easy for me to get my hands on one :(

5. thefox

thefox Member

That trike looks familiar :wink: ....

The XJ900 was sold in the states for one year; I think that is the biggest you can go with a stock XJ motor. Being a 1 year bike they are not easy to get a hold of though.

I say look for a 650 turbo. Not the fastest most powerful motor but it has a turbo!

Guys, didn’t someone put a 650 turbo on a 750 engine? Now that I think of it, does the Seca II even use the same lower end as the older XJ's?

6. johnnyb

johnnyb New Member

the motor has to bolt right in place of the xj600... because i don't want to redo the frame and mounts...

7. johnnyb

johnnyb New Member

i used to own a 82 seca turbo. its shaft drive...

8. Jim_Vess

Jim_Vess Member

If you want to keep things simple and stick with chain drive, then you are going to be limited to the XJ550 or XJ 600.

The bigger XJ's are shaft drive.

9. johnnyb

johnnyb New Member

yea figures.

im going to try and turbo the xj600. the only problem is getting oil for the turbo, i'll have to drill and tap into the cylinder where the oil passage is