1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Staying warm on chilly mornings

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by SnoSheriff, Apr 27, 2006.

1. SnoSheriff

SnoSheriff Site Owner Staff Member Administrator

Our spring and fall temperatures fluctuate quite a bit between early morning and afternoons. In the mornings we hover around 5C (41F) and in the afternoon it can be around 20C (68F). So, my morning rides chilled my legs as I don’t have chaps or riding pants.

I decided to do an experiment. 2 days in a row I rode wearing my snowmobile bib pants over my jeans. Man, what an improvement :p. I no longer get chilled and I actually enjoy the ride. In the afternoon I just use my cargo net to strap down the pants to my passenger seat.

2. woot

woot Active Member

<a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=44.777479+-
    Two days ago I was riding in 2 C heavy rain - wearing my full gear I was toasty and warm. Amazing what good gear can do for a ride - the difference between pain and not enjoying it and, warm and loving it.

You sure do get funny looks in traffic when you are being pelted with wet rain and hail - sitting on a motorcycle... :D

3. Robert

Robert Active Member

I know I'm in Southern CA. but I've been using my skiing suit (bibs w/ snowmobile gauntlets) with outstanding results in the "cold" weather out here. Nice and toasty at minimum cost (bloody outragous for some of the cold weather suits advertised, the word motorcycle must be what makes the expensive part). I sure don't suggest riding in inclement weather, hope you have better options. I had the living doodley scared out of me once in a quick rain storm in San Diego, rear tire went everywhich way. I DON'T want to ever have that happen again.

4. jeff-ski

jeff-ski Member

Hey you brother cold riders

I Bought a plexifairing3 and I gotta say I'm a toasty rider now.But Here's whats better;

rain, , cold, hands, neck, bugs, wind

Not so better;

Glare ,visual, wind on your back, appearance, bugs, wind...

In summary, The way the fairing blocks the wind is great but it also takes away the feel of the open-ness thing that I've loved about cycles.
    It dismounts easy enuf so when the weather stabilizes a little more I'll probably remove it till fall. It also generated another characteristic I've never known...huge wind at my ankles. I need to put a rubber band around my ankles to keep the pant legs from beating me to death.

What's the solution there? chaps maybe? do riding suits have a strait-leg design? Or maybe some type of gaitor like the x-country skiiers use.

Ya gotta help me...I walk funny when I get to work and the guys are starting to talk.

Jeff

5. Robert

Robert Active Member

My Aerostitch suit is a tapered affair made with a zippered slit and a velcro flap. I personally purchase 505 straight leg and have not had any problems (I like a zippered fly anyway). Chaps are an inexpensive investment and offer a reasonable improvement over plain jeans.

6. Ian.k

Ian.k Member

Snow suits? You gotta be pulling my leg. Everyone knows the only way to ride is in shorts, t-top and sandals. Preferably as fast as humanly possible. Eventually the sensation gets replaced with numbness. The best part, it didnt cost you a penny. (j/k)

7. Robert

Robert Active Member

I tried it once, for a while. I was following a friend's car that went through a patch of broken glass from an accident earlier in the day. Her tires threw up a bunch of it and lacerated the snot out of my unprotected shins. I was bleeding profusely by the time we hit the driveway! LAST time I rode unprotected anywhere! Small price to pay for a valuable lesson.