1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

XJ 750 Seca Earth/Ground connections

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Chris_H, Jun 16, 2020.

1. Chris_H

Chris_H New Member

Hi,

I've been trying to diagnose a charging issue on my Seca 750 - the battery appears to be undercharging. I have a Haynes Workshop Manual and have been looking through the threads on here re any stator/brushes/rectifier issues.

The Rectifier seems to be a very cheap pattern one and when I removed it, I couldn't see any attached earth wires?

Am I correct in thinking that an earth/ground wire should be attached to the screw near the grommet for the left hand side panel?

Also, there's a 'spare' black and white wire near to the CDI - I can't see what it's meant to be in the Haynes manual so does anyone have any info please?

It's been 20 years since I last worked on a bike (RG 500) and 34 years since my last XJ 750 Seca and I seem to have forgotten everything!

Many thanks,

Chris

Attached Files:

2. jaxcob93

jaxcob93 New Member

Congrats on the bike and hopefully things work out well with it. I’m sure one of the more knowledgeable guys here will chime in but as far as I know the black/white wire at the tci unit is the safety system signal wire. If all is good it allows for spark. If something is out of whack, then it shuts off spark. Disconnected like it is, none of the safety circuits will keep the bike from starting. Also, my 82 seca 750 did not have a ground strap for a screw on the regulator. Iirc, the black wire in the harness is the ground and the unit is not externally grounded.

3. Chris_H

Chris_H New Member

Many thanks for your reply. Yeah, hopefully it won't take much more work before I can get to ride it. I've had it a couple of weeks now and have been busy checking it over and making sure it's safe before I use it. I've got receipts from the previous owner re a few jobs they had done on it last month - carb clean and balance, oil and filter change and its also had brake pads/shoes/braided hoses/fork seals/battery so hopefully not too much more to do now.

Thanks,

Chris

jaxcob93 likes this.
  4. tabaka45

tabaka45 Well-Known Member

Have you checked the alternator output? Mine was low and it turned out that I needed to replace the brushes. Idle voltage output should be about 12.6 volts. Mine was around 11.5 before replacing the brushes.

5. Chris_H

Chris_H New Member

Yeah, the alternator output checked out fine and the brushes were like new. I've decided to ditch the really cheap rectifier and now have a decent pattern part on order just in case.

6. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

body of regulator not grounded. rectifier has a black wire that runs up to ignition coils and is bolted to frame by mounting bolts. battery is connected to motor for starter ground. the motor has 2 ground straps that go back to the frame.

7. Chris_H

Chris_H New Member

Thanks. I just needed to make sure that I wasn't missing an earth/ground connection. My remaining parts delivery should be here today or tomorrow so I'm hoping to do some more work on it this weekend.

8. Rooster53

Rooster53 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Pretty sure none of the Seca 750's have the ground straps and they just rely on the metal contact of motor to frame as the electrical connection.