1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Help with Leak?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Electrofalcon, Jun 18, 2020.

1. Electrofalcon

Electrofalcon New Member

Hello,

First post, but I’m already grateful for the information I’ve gotten from the forum!

I just got a 1982 Seca XJ650RJ running, and after the third trip out noticed a slight oil leak on the left side of the bike. (Picture attached) I believe/hope it’s just a gasket that needs to be replaced. Being new to motorcycles in general, I’m having trouble determining the right part to be searching for. This is a non-YICS engine, but it looks like the cover is the same place as the YICS cover referenced in the parts catalog.

Looking at the XJ parts catalog, I think I need one of the following: “HCP998 OEM oil pump covers or "YICS" covers standard duty paper GASKET. Originally used under the left side cover only, but many people like to install one under the right side cover also, and they will fit either side properly. Fits all XJ550, 1984-85 FJ600, 1984-86 XJ600 Euro, all XJ650, 1981-83 all XJ750 models, XJ750RL, and all XJ900RK, RL, N/FN, and F models. Each:
    $ 14.95

HCP998SET2 OEM oil pump covers or "YICS" covers standard duty paper GASKETS, set of 2:
    $ 27.95

HCP18438 Aftermarket oil pump covers or "YICS" covers hi-performance GASKET. Originally used under the left side cover only, but many people like to install one under the right side cover also, and they will fit either side properly. Fits all XJ550, 1984-85 FJ600, 1984-86 XJ600 Euro, all XJ650, 1981-83 all XJ750 models, XJ750RL, and all XJ900RK, RL, N/FN, and F models. Each:
    $ 12.95

HCP18438SET2 Aftermarket oil pump covers or "YICS" covers hi-performance GASKETS, set of 2:
    $ 24.95”

Can anyone help point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

If the oil is coming from behind the cover it will be your crankshaft oil seal. Better taking cover off to check it first. You can get a new seal without the lip on it from info@XJ4ever Chacal sells them.

k-moe likes this.
  3. Electrofalcon

Electrofalcon New Member

Thanks Franz!

So that would be the piece next to the shift lever, correct? Just got back from a ride, and the splatters are mostly on the toe, slightly inside toe, of my boot - not primarily on the side. Does that change anything?

Again, super grateful for the help - just want to make sure I end up ordering the most likely culprit...

4. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Yes the cover with the four screws in front of your shift lever, remove that. The pick up coils and the timing plate are under that cover and the oil seal is behind the rotor which is held in place by an allan head bolt. Hold the crank with a spanner while you slacken the alan bolt. The wind will be blowing the oil onto that area of your boot.

5. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

This is my 900f engine with the cover removed.

Rotor.jpg

6. tabaka45

tabaka45 Well-Known Member

can you see the source of the leak?

7. Electrofalcon

Electrofalcon New Member

Thank you Franz - it’s dripping slowly, so unless it speeds up I’ll get the seal and replace with the next oil change.

Tabaka45 - I cant see one specific “hole” or anything, but the drip is coming off the bottom of the circular silver cover in the second picture attached to my initial post. I don’t feel any oil at the top of that cover, so I’m assuming it’s leaking out of that seam.

8. Huntchuks

Huntchuks Well-Known Member

Behind the cover should be clean with no oil coatings. Look like the oil seal behind the rotor is leaking. The rubber gasket on the outside cover is just to keep dirt out and doesn't need replacing unless it is faulty (broken/dry rot).

Franz likes this.
  9. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Change the oil seal as soon as you can, oil can deteriorate the pick up coil wiring insulation I think and cause electrical problems with your ignition system.