1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Xj1100 Need help diagnosing issues and finding parts

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Andrew Goldston, Jun 25, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Andrew Goldston

Andrew Goldston New Member

So i have a xj1100 and there's 2 major issues. When i lean the bike on its kickstand gas leaks into and out of the airbox. Happens even after i turn the petcocks to off. I know i need to rebuild the carbs but what else is might need to be replaced and/or rebuilt?

Also when in nuetral i can shift to first without having to pull the clutch even when at a stop. No reving or anythinging just tap it into first. Could it be the shift forks or the shifter shaft(?)

2. mlew

mlew Well-Known Member

You will also need to rebuild both petcocks and replace the vacuum daiphram in the "octopuss" fuel lines.
    PM our parts supplier Chacal he will get you what you need.
    I don't quite understand your shifting question. You can shift from neutral to first while stopped, the bike will stall if you don't have the clutch in. Are you saying it can be shifted to first gear at a stop and nothing happens?

3. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

it sounds like a bad float needle

4. Andrew Goldston

What I meant about the shifting is that I can shift from neutral to first without pulling the clutch in and yes it does stall. So without my hands on the grips if I tap the shifter it will shift to first. I didn't think it should do that. I've checked the clutch cable and its not too tight. I can't shift up to second when I tried while testing it, only when I shift to first without the clutch pulled.

5. Andrew Goldston

I have the bike at my buddies house now so when i have time to get over there we will be tearing it apart down to bare bones and rebuilding thinga as we find them.

6. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

yes you can force the shift without clutch from neutral to first. its normal . one day when your clutch cable snaps you may have to do this to get home pop starting the bike to get it started or starting and rolling forward before shifting into first.
    I have never tried to go to second.

a good idea is to install a second clutch cable at some point wire tied to first cable . then when cable breaks you will have the spare pre installed and just have to do final connections.

if your just a day tripper having a spare is good enough. if your bike is your daily rider and you commute go on long multiday rides it is nice to be able to quick fix, dont want to have an excuse not to go to work( maybe) or fall off schedule

you can also do this with throttle cable

kosel likes this.
  7. Andrew Goldston

Thats a good idea. This is my first bike ive ever ridden, owned or worked on so ill have to ask my buddy how to do it. He builds chopper and knows a heck of a lot more then i do.