1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

1982 XJ550 Seca Carb Kit - advice

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by hedgehog, Jun 28, 2020.

1. hedgehog

hedgehog New Member

Hi Folks
    I am rebuilding the carbs on a 1982 XJ 550 Seca. I got these carb kits from K&L and I can't figure out what one of the parts is. It's a small metal (aluminum?) disc, appx 6.5mm diameter, 3.5mm thickness, and a small hole (<1mm) in the middle. I can't find it in the carb diagrams, I don't see it in any tutorials online, I have no idea what this part is. I carefully took apart the original carbs and can't find this part there, either. What am I supposed to do with it?

Attached Files:

2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

that disc is the plug cover for the air mixture screws in the carb. it was a factory only set thing and then caped so owner could not adjust it.
    funny I picked up one off the floor today
    mix here.PNG goes in hole over the screw to left of plunger in photo

hedgehog likes this.
  3. hedgehog

hedgehog New Member

It does indeed go in there! Thank you. Also explains why I couldn't find any when I was taking everything apart. I wish whoever worked on this carb before had left them in place, rather than taking them out and stripping two of the mixture screws... I was able to get one out with a screwdriver and a rubber band, but still have one stuck. I am planning on trying to get it out with a screw extractor bit. Wish me luck.

Actually, nature had supplied an alternate version of these plugs. Some kind of insect had laid a bunch of eggs in the cylinder on top of the mixture screws in two of the carbs. It looked like it was just full of dust/dirt/sand, but when I cleaned it out a few very dried and dead worm-like things came out of there. I suspect this bike had been sitting for a while...

4. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

easy outs work just soak the screw a couple of days with renetrating oil

#1 easy out is size just be carful drilling

hedgehog likes this.