1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Will 1982 Maxim 650 forks work on 1982 Seca 650?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by WheelYeeter, Jun 29, 2020.

1. WheelYeeter

WheelYeeter New Member

Forgive me if I've done anything wrong here as this is my first post. But as the title says, I've purchased Maxim forks and as it turns out, my "maxim" is actually a Seca. And as far as I can tell the only difference is that the axle goes in front of the forks, rather than in the middle. Is this safe or am I just out the money I just spent on the wrong ones? Thanks.

2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

forks will work but will change the way bike steers.

3. WheelYeeter

WheelYeeter New Member

Awesome, thanks for the reply. I still have the bottoms so I may do that if I'm not feeling too lazy. Thanks again

4. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

not sure you can change the bottoms any more upper tubes are a different part number.

5. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Be aware——the triple trees are different shapes......the 650rj triple puts the tubes a bit farther forward of the stem than on the Maxim. If you swap just a the forks, then the axle center is the only position that changes, but if y0u change then triples too to compensate, then you end up with forks that will interfere with the tank. See my post one the tank interchange section regarding the 650’s

k-moe likes this.
  6. WheelYeeter

WheelYeeter New Member

Well as it turns out, the forks aren't really working. The speedo hits the bottom of the fork due to the position change and the brake calipers mount differently. I may just try swapping the bottoms, unless someone knows that absolutely wont work?

7. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

You need to swap the forks/axle/rim/tire/brakes assembly.

Lift the front of the bike high enough to slide the whole assembly out of the triples. I don’t recall if the fender mounting holes are at the same positions