1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Logun kohen's 81 650 Maxim

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Logun koehn, Jun 7, 2019.

1. Logun koehn

Logun koehn New Member

Also thank you all for the help about my starter issue i have rebiult the starter and clened the clutch and it only slips every once and a while. (next issue is getting it running right) seemed to run and drive fine when i bought it now it dosent want to fire up and when started it runs rough and the throttle does nothing but kill it thinking i should start with carbs (also carb to intake boots seems to be cracked with a sub par attempt to glue the cracks thinking that could also be a big factor. Thanks everyone.
    Logun~

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Haynes has a good service manual, and the Yamaha Factory Service manual is a good compliment to it. Some prefer the Clymer service manual.
    Be aware that all three have errors in them. Most notably the valve clearances for the XJ650J are incorrect, and the position for the air jets in the Hitachi carbs are also incorrect.

Logun koehn and Chitwood like this.
  3. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

you will want to get the xj650g FSM it is the base for all other factory service manuals has quite a bit of info more than xj650h manual.

4. Logun koehn

Logun koehn New Member

I've cleaned my starter clutch and it starts right up unless the engine is hot. Then it sounds like a box of rocks? Not sure what my next steps should be. Possible clean the starter clutch again?

5. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Mine does this from time to time , I have a spare engine eventually I will pull the engine and split the case..

6. Logun koehn

Logun koehn New Member

I'm trying to avoid pulling the engine at all cost considering I dont have alot into it. Can you explain what causes it to fail mechanically? And what's the best method for cleaning a starter clutch. Thanks

7. Jetfixer

Poor design, there are 3 rollers with springs , the springs loose tension eventually, the other issue is the plate cracks . There are some claim you can replace the starter clutch with engine in place...the starter and the alternator needs to be removed. You can try pulling the starter spray the clutch down with brake cleaner or degreaser , drain the oil ,and fill up oil, you can try going to heavier oil, 20w50 might help. Unless this is your only transportation, you could pull the engine and work on it a little at the time, a starter clutch is around 30$ , the guide is biggest cost , xj4ever has these , a gasket set . Do some research on replacing starter clutch I think Kmoe has done this deed he could tell you more on subject. Shop Ebay, xj4ever etc , try to find a used engine( might have same problem is only problem) I bought an engine off member Joe Eliff he might have a 650 engine try to IM him . Look if you can get an engine for around 300$ it might get you back on the road. Cheers

8. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

That claim has proven to be false. My thinking is that the claim was being colnfligrated with the XS750/850, which can have the starter clutch removed with the engine in one peice (albeit with some difficulty).

9. Logun koehn

Logun koehn New Member

Hello everyone. Revisiting an old thread. I had a problem with my 1981 xj650 not starting due to the P.O using car oil messing up the starter clutch. I've done what was suggested to me above (remove starter, spray starter clutch with brake cleaner drain oil). This has made the problem improve but not go away.. the bike will start just fine when cold but as soon as it get to temperature the problem comes back (starter clutch slips/ sounds like rocks. Until it finally start back up after a few minutes of trying.. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

10. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

add some seafoam per mfg recomendations maybe a little extra it will clean out motor ride 100 to 300 miles then change the oil again.

use a cheap oil like rotella t4 15w40 its about 14$ a gallon
    are you using synthetic oil? if you are stop using that untill issue goes away, may or , may not be a factor.

it may be wishful thinking on your part as to why starter clutch slips. it could be that you just have to change the starter clutch.

me I would try cleaning a few times both through starter and with seafoam.

Logun koehn and hogfiddles like this.
  11. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

BLASPHEMY!!!!!

Logun koehn likes this.
  12. Jetfixer

As long as the "car" oil is jaso certified and is NOT synthetic it is fine , I used to to have an 84 Kawaski 550 LTD always used 10W40 Valvoline conventional oil never had a problem. In my Seca 750 use Shell Rotella 15w40 .

k-moe and Logun koehn like this.