1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

New bike, need help with identification

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by scott750, Jul 2, 2020.

1. scott750

scott750 New Member

Hey guys (and gals),

Living in Australia and just bought a XJ750 but i'm struggling to figure out what exactly I have bought :confused:

The previous owner identified it as a 1983 XJ750B however during the purchasing period I suspected it may have been a 1983 XJ750E-II due to the unique bodywork and paint job. Now that I've taken ownership I have looked up the frame and engine case numbers but this is where things begin to conflict.

Etched into the frame it shows 45T-000119 which identifies as an Aus 1984 XJ750 Seca but on the engine casing it shows 29R880088 which identifies as a Jap 1983 XJ750E-II. Engine size casting shows 749.

There's also a compliance plate on the frame which shows 'Yamaha XJ750R, 118345T000119'

Note - previous owner never had the bike registered since buying it from the owner before him, it sat for about 15 years before I was able to get it running the other day.

Looking for new parts at the moment and really trying to figure this out before dropping cash for stuff that won't fit.

Any help would be appreciated :)

2. scott750

scott750 New Member

Looks like I cant post pictures yet... but >> imgur.co m/a/4pCsxv7

3. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Welcome to XJ Bikes. I am sure you need to post five things and then you can upload photographs.

4. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

TECH TOPIC: Model ID and VIN's

You may have a mongrel. All XJ650/700/750 engines will fit into any XJ650//700/750 frame (XJ900 engines can be made to fit too).

5. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

6. scott750

scott750 New Member

Thank you! Looks like I'll need to up my game so I can start adding photos :D

7. scott750

scott750 New Member

That thought did cross my mind, it's already confusing me when the haynes manual I have doesn't seem to entirely match up with my model, it's gonna confuse me when buying parts!

I did previously go through the link you provided and it was great help narrowing down where the frame and engine supposedly came from. The ODO reads around 18000km

Regarding the frame number, if it was in fact a 1984 frame, would a short vin still be stamped into the frame? I thought that these years were provided with a full 17 digit VIN?

8. scott750

scott750 New Member

XJ550H,

Very interesting link. wonder whether I should do this as a restoration job or to make it my own. I suppose it depends whether or not the bike is original or has already been messed around with.. so far it seems like the latter

9. scott750

scott750 New Member

So the more I pull apart the bike I find more signs that it's been butchered. Dodgy wiring, snapped bolts, a couple of panels mounting points are damaged/cut. I'll continue to fix up the bike and hopefully get it registered for the road before I put too much cash into it.