1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Identifying electrical connectors on a 1982 Seca 550

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Gene Bates, Jul 2, 2020.

1. Gene Bates

Gene Bates New Member

I always liked the Yamaha Seca and recently picked one up that had been partially disassembled. I have ordered a manual for the bike and reassembled it, aside from a few things. The problem I am having is identifying which connectors go to what. I have most of them figured out; however, there are a few that I am uncertain on as they can hook up to more than one. I have the wiring diagram and have referred to the interactive one online as well. The connectors that I have to sort out come from the solenoid and from under the left side of the engine. I have one of those hooked up as it has three white wires on one connector going to three white wires on another. The rest have different color wires that do not match up to the wires on another connector.

2. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

The three white wires are the alternator to regulator/ rectifier unit. The others are the pick up coils wires orange and grey and black. There is one for the oil level indicator and a blue one for the neutral switch.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
  3. Gene Bates

Gene Bates New Member

Thank you Franz!

4. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

The pick up coil wires have to go to your TCI (my 900f has a Grey, Orange and Black wires going to the three connections socket on the TCI). Black with red stripe cable (from the oil level switch in the oil pan) goes to the diode under the seat in the fuse box TCI tray. Neutral switch wire (light blue) goes to the neutral switch light but connects to the starter circuit cut off relay. The solenoid should have a two wire connection to it.

5. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

if when you can post photos and wire colors I can look on mine to ID

Franz likes this.