1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

XJ650 Speedometer Gear Unit Lubrication

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Dan Gardner, Jul 1, 2020.

1. Dan Gardner

Dan Gardner Well-Known Member Premium Member

Hi All,

I've got my front wheel off so I decided I would take a look at the speedometer gear unit.

It sort of looked like it was packed with grease like a wheel bearing. The service manual says " Lightly grease the lips of the front wheel oil seals and the gear teeth of speedometer drive and driven gears. Use lightweight lithium soap base grease."

To make things more interesting, the washer-like thing with the tabs that turn the speedo gear and the washer thing that goes next to it both have rust/corrosion on them. The round spring like thing looks OK.

So two questions:
    1. Are the washer with the tabs and the other washer with corrosion salvageable?
    2. Should it be loaded up with grease like I found it, or just "lightly greased" like the manual says?

Thanks for any insight.

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

The light grease is for the exterior of the unit. The innards should be packed about 3/4 full.

If the rust is just on the surface (light pitting is OK) you can use rust converter on it and the part will be fine to use. Replacements are stil available, and used speedo drive units are usually inexpensive and plentiful on Ebay.

This thread is helpful. seized-speedometer-drive-unit.33009

Dan Gardner likes this.
  3. Dan Gardner

Dan Gardner Well-Known Member Premium Member

Thanks k-moe

I cleaned up the parts with some 600 grit and "lightly greased" them.

Everything is working just fine - might replace them one of these days, they are available and not expensive at xj4ever.com, would probably also need a new grease seal.