1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Seca 82 leftover project

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Timbox, Oct 23, 2019.

1. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

I almost fell over today, I had a call from a "restricted" number and it was the Deputy that took my report. He found the home of the guy and this guys Mother ID-ed him as the one from the CCTV. I think the Deputy knew the kid right off the bat from the images. The guy is still at large but the air compressor he stole from me is back with me!!

I could get on a huge soap box about this stuff, but I am happy to have the person ID-ed and they are actively looking for him. I sure beefed up thing around my house and sheds yesterday. :)

hogfiddles and Franz like this.
  2. H.P.Derksen

H.P.Derksen New Member

Hi Tim, start two weeks ago with a Seca from 1981. I stripped completely and it will be a project of 3/4 year. I am thinking of starting with a cafe racer.....or bobber. But maybe bring the Seca originally. A lot of parts are missing, broken or damage.
    Nice te read your story and from others. So many people around the globe are working, building and creating nice stuff with this bike.
    Success and I will follow the process.
    Kind regards
    Peter Arnhem, The Netherlands

Attached Files:

3. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

You have nice looking fender paint there Derksen...my bike is so sun bleached.

H.P.Derksen likes this.
  4. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Put the new LED blinders on the other day, all but one of the factory ones were gone or broken. Have to change out the turn signal timer for a newer one that will allow for the LED resistance change.

Have most of the wiring on the gauge taken care of. I have to swap out the left handle bar control, looks to be easy but then again I think I have to change out the clutch swx or just remove it. Tank cap came in and the tank is clean, first time for everything (that being a clean tank). Still need to to some fabbing to get the round headlight to work and get all the wires to hide and stay out of the way. Should be warm enough in the next few days to even get one or two of the project bikes on the road for test rides. :):)

5. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Got the new solder by heat gun connectors in today. I started to shorten up the wiring harness so I can hide it behind the new round headlight. Those little connectors are great so far and only needing a heat gun. That saves on solder and a solder gun. I would have used shrink tube on the solders as well so new connectors and a heat gun and you are good to go. I highly recommend them.
    https://www.amazon.com/Kuject-Conne...AD77KG8DFJW&psc=1&refRID=P88Y6GVYXAD77KG8DFJW

6. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Got the carbs sync done, bike runs very well but that 4 into 1 with no baffle (rusted out) is way loud, will need to fix that. I had a issue with that cheap digital gauge from Amazon. Found a few people on youtube that had the same gauge and used their guidance to fix the RPM issue. I have however not been able to get the front headlight to work. I did the wire bypass that I found on here but still no luck. I am thinking of just taking most of the wiring harness out and just do a minimal wiring like the cafe bikes have. I know that this makes the headlight come on just with the key, but I was going to put a on and off switch on the headlight.

Here is what I will use as a blueprint. Thanks for having this on the site.
    [​IMG]1 by Tim Brown, on Flickr
    [​IMG]2 by Tim Brown, on Flickr
    [​IMG]3 by Tim Brown, on Flickr

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
  7. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Got all the electrical taken care of, headlight is on a swx. I put a aftermarket petcock on the tank, I don't think it flows enough fuel. Bike wants to run but I can tell it is starving for gas. Will have to buy a NOS or find another. Do like the way the Seca's feel with you ride them, more of a sit on bike than a sit in, that is my style.

8. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

So would like a little help on this one. Fist time I have been turned down by the WI DMV to get a bonded title. The State said they could not read the VIN, I get that and maybe the pic is bad. Took it down to the very nice police and they also could not read it. They put a "1" and a "7" in the location that is not very clear and nothing came back. If I do a VIN check says the "A" means it is from 1980 but the sticker says 8/82.
    [​IMG]DSCN0006 by Tim Brown, on Flickr
    [​IMG]20210305_150718[1] by Tim Brown, on Flickr

9. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

You only need to show them the stamped VIN.

10. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

It appears that either VIN has been removed from my states title records. I guess it is a thing they are doing now. Once the bikes get old enough and they have not changed hands in a while they more or less just remove them from their data base. This is my case, the WI police can't find information on either of those vins. I guess I might have to do the Vermont route if I really want to title this project. Just feel a little deflated about the bike now...good night sleep should fix that.

11. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

Your Full VIN Numer is JYA5G2001CA111339

World Manufacturer Identifier:

J = Japan, Y=Yamaha, A= Motorcycle

Vehicle Characteristics

5G200 = 1982 XJ750 Seca USA

Check Digit:

C is the year A is the assembly plant
    Model Year:

C = 1982

Assembly Plant:

A = Iwata City Production Facility

Serial Number:

111339 is the Serial Number.

12. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

^ so the "check digit" of "1" could be a "7" from the pic.? I guess that is the issue, sense the number is really not readable I am out of luck. Thanks for doing the leg work and looking it up.

13. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

Timbox likes this.
  14. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Still not too sure what I will do with this. I have another county police area I can go to and see if they will sign off on the paper work. If not I might just have to do the mail in title, but I will have to wait until all my original paperwork comes back from the WI DMV. Monday is another day of trying.

15. tj.

tj. Active Member

Feel your pain...going through a similar issue, but in Ontario, Canada. Why in the world is a decal so important?...the serial is stamped in the head. After almost 40 years, surely the decal will have some fading, damage etc.

Best of luck with it.

16. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Printed out a bunch of free online VIN checks of the bike today. I will try it again with new paper work and explain to the officer that the bike is out of the system, but it is not stolen, salvage or otherwise. I am just refreshing the bike and want to ride it. The bike will also not start, been sitting for a few months but should fire up. I even had fresh carb clean and stable gas...could be weak battery. Anyway, it will run again and I will get paper work for it....lol...I hope to.

17. StarGeneral

StarGeneral Active Member

Curious, what kind of symptoms did you experience with the aftermarket petcock?

18. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

No symptoms with the new aftermarket petcock. It worked great and would use them again. This bike has been parted out as I could not get a WI title for it. Could not even get a bonded title do to my local officials not being able to read the 17 digit vin. Oh well fist one I had to part out.

Let me know if there is any other questions you have. Take care.