1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

VTX 1800 vs Valkyrie

Discussion in 'Other Motorcycles' started by Timbox, Jul 3, 2020.

1. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

I have to ask the best forum I know of. What to chose for a "getting older cruiser". I currently have a sport touring bike (Bandit 1250S) that is a good maybe one day bike in current seat configuration. I am thinking/wanting to make a jump to a bigger cruiser bike.

So far I like the looks of both bikes, but I feel that I want a smooth as possible ride, that from what I have read, wold be the Valkyrie (Val). The down side is that it has carbs still and might need a little TLC with them from time to time. I figure we can do the carbs on the XJ bikes than the Val should be a no issue.

How you sit on the Val is what I hope is a plus as well. I am going to look at one on Monday (6 July) and maybe get a better idea of what I am looking for. The Val also has a almost bullet proof engine and not too many negative things about it.

The Honda VTX 1800, what a great looking bike (imho). It has a two pin crank so the vibration is said to be minimal. It has a great engine as well with a little more pull on the top end. I just don't know if I can move to a big V Twin from all the years of my inline 4's? The VTX had FI and gets better gas mileage than the Val. The sitting position is interesting to get used to, I don't know if I will ever like the feeling of feet out in front of you or laying back on a motorcycle.

I guess Monday will tell the full story but any suggestions from our members would be great. I think that I will go with the Val but I am still on the fence. Thanks.

2. Baker6x6

Baker6x6 Member

I have both a VTX 1300R (6-years) , and an 1800R (2-years). Both machines are equipped with an aftermarket fairing w/stereo, hard saddlebags, and harley-style tour pack trunks. When I was looking for a bigger cruiser to replace/augment my XJ750K Touring (see avatar), I really wasn't looking at the V-twins- due to the typical vibration associated with a twin. I REALLY wanted a Valkyrie Tourer (don't like the fairing on the Interstate). But, at the time (2014). they were outside my budget. I have test drove at least 4 Valkyries- and "borrowed" one for a day of riding.

The Valkyrie will definitely be "smoother" than the VTX's in either displacement. It's a matter of design. A big twin just thumps differently than a 4 or 6 cylinder. Neither of my V-Twins vibrate to any extent that is harsh or obnoxious.

The VTX 1800 is a massive powerhouse. It brings a smile to my face every time I twist the throttle. However- you do need to be in the correct gear, and not "lug" the engine. If you try to putz along at 30 mph in 5th gear... and twist the throttle.... you'll go, but the gas tank will shake like a v8 with 2 bad spark plugs. I generally don't use 5th until 50mph. My gas mileage is around 40-44 mpg for general riding, more if all my cruising between 45-65 mph (almost never!) but falls off alot at sustained 75mph+speeds.
    Carbs Vs Fuel Injection: My VTX 1300R is carbureted (1), and the 1800 is FI. Neither one has given me any fuel-related trouble since I've owned them. The carbs require NO adjustment- after initially getting it set "right" (very easy). I've done nothing to the 1800. No fuel programmer, nothing except a K&N filter.

Things to look for in a used VTX 1800:
    Miles- these things will easily exceed 150K with no major work- IF maintained!!!
    Upgraded Seat- the original is OK, but for long trips- you want to see an Ultimate Big Boy (over 200#), or a Low-Rider. Mustang and Corbin also make good seats. I have some VTX friends- that have had their oem seats redone by Mean City Cycles, with good results too.
    AND:A driver's backrest is a MUST-HAVE!
    K&N air filter- much better flow/throttle response. Especially if the air box has been "de-capped". This is a VERY common modification that is a great improvement. So don't assume this is a backyard mod.
    Pair-valve removal: another very common Mod, It removes some emissions equipment to stop de-celeration popping, especially with aftermarket exhaust.
    Fuse-Block Mod: many VTX riders add a fuse panel- if they run many accessories IE: stereo, LEDS, light-bar, etc...
    Exhaust: I prefer stock, as it's quiet. But, aftermarket will improve power and speed. Common types, Vance & Hines Big Shots, H/K, Samson,

[​IMG]

Timbox likes this.
  3. Baker6x6

Baker6x6 Member

Thought of a few more things...
    The VTX 1800 comes in 5 "styles": C, R, S, N and F
    The C- is the base model. It has a short rear fender and small front fender. Standard pegs, and a straight handlebar. Seating position is upright and forward.
    The R & S are basically the same bike, except the S will have spoked wheels. These will have floorboards, and heel/toe shifters. These are built for comfortable cruising. The seat position is lower and more laid-back (that's why a driver backrest is needed). My bike is an R
    The N- has a long undertaker-style fenders, different taillight, but still has floorboards. And is the "stylish"-cruiser.
    The F- is the more "aggressive" style. It has pegs instead of floorboards, and the seating position is more forward. These are VERY fast and handle better due to seat-position and higher pegs.. so you can really lean them.

All the 1800s have the same engines. Most equipment interchanges except for handlebars and related parts, and exhausts.

Timbox likes this.
  4. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Baker6x6,
    Thanks for the feedback, just what I was looking for. Really liked the break down of the styles of the VTX helps when looking at the bikes. I am still on the fence with these two bikes. I am going to get serious this week as most of my project bikes are being sold off this month.

Still leaning on the side of the Val, and thinking if I ever want a big V Twin I would find a old Kaw 1500 Vulcan or a nice Virago 1100. I know both of those bikes have either second gear issues or starter gear rattle problems. That VTX sure is a good looking bike.

Baker6x6 likes this.
  5. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Took a ride on a not very well maintained 1997 Val tonight. Front fender had been dented, more than normal wear marks in places. Front right shock cap was all welded up, petcock was lose or not attached to the bike at all.

Started and sound okay (as I have never heard one of these run before) but I noticed some dirty carb issues right away. Took it out and wow that is the most comfortable motorcycle I have ridden to date! The carb issues started to get worse around the 55 mph range and at 65 the front had a distinctive vibration. So I had to walk away from that bike even though he dropped $500 right off the price. He wanted dealer trade in value still and I think it was not worth it. Who knows if I could have gotten rid of that front vibration situation? Hope to find another one soon.

6. Baker6x6

Baker6x6 Member

Most front-end vibrations on Valks (and hondas) is the neck bearings and SURPRISINGLY.. rear shock bushings. The smaller Hondas used cheap bicycle-bearing style bearings (like our maxims). These need to be replaced with Tapered Roller bearings such as "All Balls".
    Then, there is wheel balance... Folks that don't "care" for their bikes often buy the cheapest tires they can, don't keep up with tire maintenance, running them underinflated, and other things they just ignore.
    Don't let this discourage you from a Valk... it WILL be my next bike purchase.... for the same reason as your statement about comfort. (I'm getting old)

7. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

I am hoping that the seller sends me a message and comes down a little in price. If I can get it for $2300 I think I would still get it. I have watched a few vids on how to do the carbs and it seems like it is better than other Honda's (V65 mag). For a grand more I can get a really nice 1999 with less miles and way more accessories on it. I feel for that much money it should be a turn key bike, not one of our project or hobby bikes we normally pick up to flip or enjoy.

8. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Pulled the trigger on the 1997 Val today, not in great shape but for the price I got it for that is okay. Need to go through it as I can tell it has not been serviced in some time. Lots of TLC and missed scheduled maint stuff. Will post some pics soon.

Franz and Dave in Ireland like this.
  9. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Got to the carbs and yes there was some rust and plugged jets in a few of them. The valves I don't know if they had ever been adjusted. Looked like OEM gasket sealant on the covers still. They were way off, so hope that helps the old girls out. Found some interesting wiring under the tank, one ckt looks like for the horn with its own relay. That is the good one and can be used when I change over to my air horn. The other is spiced into one of the wires, black tape wrapped and runs to the headlight. Once I get the carb back in I will start the electrical issues. No front turn signals and all that like most bikes is in the headlight.

10. Baker6x6

Baker6x6 Member

Congrats on the Valk...

11. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Thanks its a work on progress as it was not well taken care of.