1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

81 xj650 engine onto 85 xj750 frame?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Dalexander, Jul 7, 2020.

1. Dalexander

Dalexander New Member

Hey guys,
    Will a 1981 xj650 midnight maxim engine fit on a 1985 xj750 maxim frame
    Thanks

2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

info overload has a list and how to do it but i do not think it covers 84 and 85 frames.

Dalexander likes this.
  3. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

The '84 and '85 XJ750 models used the same engines as prior years.
    The 650 engine will swap into the 750 frames.
    An '81 650 engine could be either YICS or non-YICS. The YICS TCI box is the same for the 650 and 750, but the non-YICS engine neeeds a non-YICS TCI.

Dalexander likes this.
  4. Dalexander

Dalexander New Member

Thank you! The guy messaged me back saying he thinks the frame might Actually be a maxim x 700 frame, I did some quick research and I couldn’t find if the engine will fit, looks like that year those are liquid cooled? Might play if safe and hold off. Just appealing because he has the ownership for the frame

5. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

If it’s a Canadian X then the frame is from an XJ750-X which is virtually identical to the 700-X. There’s no reason your motor won’t fit this frame but unless it’s a complete roller, meaning a complete bike minus the motor you will be missing too many parts. This frame needs 85 forks, triples, wheels, tank, seat. I don’t think much Stuff from your 650 will fit, what is wrong with your 650 frame?

Dalexander likes this.
  6. Dalexander

Dalexander New Member

Ok that’s good to know thanks, I bought the bike from a guy off kijiji that had it given to him when his friend that owned it passed away and I believe it’s a replacement frame because there is no vin on the neck and no signs that someone had grinded the vin off, I am new to this so I didn’t even check for the vin before I bought it