1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

XJ700 package deal

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Timbox, Nov 2, 2019.

1. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Pushed the bike back into the little workshop and onto the lift table. Once the weather gets a little warmer time to scyn, color tune rinse and repeat. On a side note, got the new CCTV hard drive secure box all welded up and mounted. That to have that behind me.

2. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Should be warm enough to day to get the bike sync done. I have it all hooked up to gas and the sync tool ready to go. I cheated last night and started it to see how far off, not much, just 1 &2 are a little off. With these temps really hope to get this bike of of the shop and back into the shed.

Simmy likes this.
  3. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

What a great warmer day in my area. Was able to open up the shop doors and let the sun warm it up, great for this time of yr. Got the 700 running very well, looked at the oil as it was running and the new oil is already dirty. Going to have to add some sea foam and run it for a 100 miles and change again. PO must have not taken care of it very well. On a good note, when I did the valve spec the over head cams looked great with no visible wear.

Worked on the gas tank after the Evapo-rust did its job. Had to do much more rinsing to get all the little stuff out of the tank, but I am happy with how it turned out. The petcock was also just full of gummed up gas, I am hoping I was able to clean it and refresh the internal gasket. Added new fuel line, in line filter and clamps. Need to fill the tank up and add a little additive of some type to help with any residual water that could be in the tank. I think today she will find her way to the shed.

The seat is interesting, I know these seats really have to be pushed in well or I am just missing something. I know I am used to the Seca type seat but this 700 seat is a bugger to get in place.

4. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Took her down the road the other day, two things from the little trip. New petcock rebuild kit needed, spraying gas on the valve cover from the square portion of the suction valve. The speedo was not working, upon further inspection the rubber had rubbed off the speedo cable. It has rusted sold, so new cable on the way. Hoping that will be the last two things that will keep her off the road. We have about 2" of snow last night, so still not motorcycle weather yet...getting close though.

5. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Put the new petcock kit in and no more gas leak, so nice. Bike started great and I wish it was warmer and not raining out. Speedo cable should be here soon and then some cosmetic stuff. I sure wish the gas tank was a little bigger and I didn't feel cramped on this bike. Someone will love her...but she will leave the stable...if we ever get out of this mess we are in.

6. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Been a while sense I have posted about this bike. Had a bad (frozen) speedo cable, didn't fix issue. Found out that the wheel speedo part was locked up inside, had to order a used one on line. Well as I was playing with the front tire, I noticed that it was really lose. Yep the wheel bearings on both sides were bad. The one on the speedo side was really bad. Waiting on the mail now to put them back in and get this bike on the road. I think I will have to play with the bearings in the steering head as well, seems to want to just fall to the side, and it should not do that.

7. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Really got after tracing out the wiring. I removed all the OEM relays from the bike. I also removed the buss fuse in the headlight bucket. My goal is to reduce the wires behind the headlight. Moved the turn signal interrupter and the headlight/stator relay to the tail of the bike. Wire mess pics to follow.