1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

1997 Honda Valkyrie

Discussion in 'Other Motorcycles' started by Timbox, Jul 19, 2020.

1. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

I had to make the jump to a cruiser. I don't know if it was the 150 mile ride on my sport tour bike (Bandit 1250S) or road conditions in Wisconsin that made me take the jump? Either way, I came across a bike in my local area (12 miles) and that is something I could not pass up.

Bike looks like it might have been dropped on the right side maybe on a trailer. The gas tank has a little crease in it but no rash, guessing from hitting angle iron on the trailer. The front fender has some interesting paint damage but nothing looks like a accident.

The test ride was not really a good one, the bike had been sitting for a yr and the carbs needed work. Still it drove very well and to this day the most comfortable motorcycle I have ever ridden.

[​IMG]DSCN0002 by Tim Brown, on Flickr
    [​IMG]DSCN0001 by Tim Brown, on Flickr
    This is a pic of replacement bracket for the top of the radiator. The old one had broke off at some point.
    [​IMG]DSCN0011 by Tim Brown, on Flickr
    Some of the PO wiring that needs to be addressed.
    [​IMG]DSCN0005 by Tim Brown, on Flickr
    Cleaned the top of engine once the carbs were out. Three jets were plugged in the carbs along with a little crud. Not too nasty so I guess that was why my test ride was not too bad. Here is the big space for the six carbs to go back into.
    [​IMG]DSCN0009 by Tim Brown, on Flickr

So far the valves have been done, all were out of spec maybe never touch. 76K miles on her now. Carbs cleaned and bench sync, brakes seem good, but did a quick bleeding of lines to check for air, didn't see anything. Need to put the carbs back in her today and take a look at the gas tank. More to come.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2020
  2. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

She is back together and running so nice. The bench sync and carb cleaning bad a word of difference. Had to turn down the idle as it was running the way it sold have during my test run. The bike sounds really good and throttle response for this engine is quick.

Next is to take that sticker off the sides of the gas tank. Do a little work on the windshield before it goes back on. I also have to fix the top of the right fork as the PO messed it all up. I guess I should service the forks if I have to pull one off anyway. I guess at least fluid change.

Still need to plastic weld the alternator cover. Should find a back seat as well, but really no need. I will go for some universal bags and possible install a cruise control that I have new in a box on the shelf.

3. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Is it the same motor the Goldwing has? Does it have timing belts? 76K is nothing I think lots of life left in that engine.

4. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Took the Val out yesterday for a 30 + mile run, the engine on this bike is so much fun. I would guess I will get maybe 35 mph but not sure. The twist of the throttle and the sound from the exhaust is just too much fun. Got the hot air gun out and took off the nasty stickers on the side of the tank. Unfortunately that didn't go without a little clear coat coming off. Not sure if the stickers covered up the tank paint damage in the first place or me removing the letters did the damage. Nothing was bubbling up and I used a plastic tool but still the damage is done. :mad:

5. kosel

kosel Active Member Premium Member

Now you can make 'em yours.

6. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Update.... took the bike out for a longer ride today, got to really give it the throttle. Wow does this thing have balls....for days, but agility is not like the XJ's or my Bandit 1250S by any means. So this will be a learning period with the bike. If I like it and can adapt to it, I will keep it, if not, I will sell her next spring.

kosel likes this.
  7. Fuller56

Fuller56 Well-Known Member

Cary, NC (winter) Harpursville, NY (summer)
    I have ridden a Valkryie or GL1500 but have a GL1200 & have to remember to ride & shift it as a GoldWing & not an XJ or pretty anything else not that big. They are still motor ycles but still pretty much unique.
    John

8. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Took the time to fab up the GIVI brackets on the Val. Had the plates left over from my ZX1400 so just cut old mounting rails off and ground everything down to level metal. Placed the brackets in place, did a little marking, measuring and then spot welded one side. If you ever weld on your motorcycle please remember to remove the ground wire to your battery, you don't want to fry any of you bikes electronics with a stray voltage spike.

Both mounts are now on, the 22L bags are one and I will post some pics in a bit. I left the back of the brackets unpainted for now to see how the welds hold up. I think all cruiser type bikes need bags to carry things. Had to put these on for getting groceries and just for holding trip items.

Attached Files:

k-moe likes this.