1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

'81 Maxim xj650 NO POWER

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by thecanadiankid, Aug 4, 2020.

1. thecanadiankid

thecanadiankid New Member

Hey all, I'm brand new here and just purchased my first project bike for the whopping price of $80 CAD. It's a 1981 Maxim 650 and I am getting absolutely no power. Tried jumping her yesterday, still nothing, no lights, no clicking, no turning over, nothing. The dude I bought it off of said he acquired it from his brother in law or something like that, and said the wiring was a sh*t home job, which it is no doubt. Now here's the problem, I don't really know where to start. Could it be the starter solenoid?

2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

get a meter and see where you have voltage.
    fuse boxes with glass fuses are horrible and will need to be reolaced.
    you can jump the big nuts holding battery cable and starter cable to spin starter

key off should have voltage on both sides of main fuse.
    key on voltage to all 4 fuses.

3. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

You see here you have a massive problem - no wiring that you can call good, and since you've asked on here it would seem no previous knowledge that would help you sort it. And we're all somewhere else, with computers in between.
    So you either need to learn how to read electrical drawings, use meters, run new cables and make crimped ends etc , or you need a new (used) loom. So are you prepared to take the long view, do all the above, ask questions if your stuck, or are you expecting the answer today, tomorrow or at least soon? Do you want to ride, or learn, and then ride?
    If I were you, I would look for a used loom, check it all out carefully with a meter, some cleaning kit etc, make some new ends up for the bike - if they've been butchered, and then fit it and go from there. Best and quickest way forward, and then you can enjoy riding.
    If mr bodgit and sellit has been there before you, rip it out and start again. Sorry.

k-moe likes this.
  4. thecanadiankid

thecanadiankid New Member

nope left all original wiring in, replaced a couple fuses, improved some connections and splices, works fine now. I actually have a bit of knowledge about this kind of thing, but was overwhelmed in the beginning. Just busted out the old multimeter and started looking for clues.

Nyk B and k-moe like this.
  5. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

One thing that you should do is replace the original fusebox, or at least replace the fuse clips.

Nyk B likes this.
  6. JeromeWomboe

JeromeWomboe New Member

Since you have absolutely nothing, I would start checking for continuity.

Continuity from the neg post to the frame?
    Good. Switch to the positive side and go from there.

Once you know the condition of the wiring, you should be able to start tracing for voltage and see where it is and isn't, where it should and shouldn't be.

7. Nyk B

Nyk B New Member

Don't do like me, you can get a cheap blade fuse block from an auto parts store and just wire it in.

Attached Files:

8. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member