1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Billet or Cast?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by XJ650SECATAY, Aug 12, 2020.

1. XJ650SECATAY

XJ650SECATAY Member

does anyone know if the 82 xj650 r seca engines are billet or cast aluminum (sorry i don't know how to tell)? i want to polish the engine and i have heard that cast aluminum will oxidize when you polish it, but billet wont. i just need to know if i am going to have to clear coat the engine to protect it from oxidizing :)

2. JBurch

JBurch Active Member

The cases are cast, good luck and have fun

I don't think casting vrs billet has any effect on polishing, there are millions of pieces of cast aluminum that are/have been polished, it's all gonna oxidize

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
    k-moe likes this.
  3. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

originally motors were clear coated and parts painted. the polished case will dull. do a search for polishing plenty of methods from a wheel to wetdry with wd40
    a coat of wax works but dulls the mirror shine

4. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

5. XJ650SECATAY

XJ650SECATAY Member

hey thanks. yeah previous owner stripped most of the stock paint just to paint it silver for whatever reason. if it doesnt matter then i will just go for it. I don't want to polish it to a mirror finish, i mostly just want to clean it up. sandpaper is the best answer i've found to clean it up and then polish to taste with a buffing wheel and some compound, but i know sandpaper will leave scratches and will cause it to oxidize faster..

6. Huntchuks

Huntchuks Well-Known Member

As soon as the old oxide is removed and there is fresh air exposure, all aluminum starts oxidizing. Method of removal has no effect.

k-moe likes this.
  7. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

You won't find a billet (machined from solid stock; the stock being the billet) engine case on any production machine. The cost of that sort of work really limits it to prototyping and the well-equipped hobbiest.

To get it cleaned up really easily look into soda blasting.

8. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

i did mine with "aircraft" stripper, power washer and a wire brush, hand and on a drill. look into Eastwood's engine enamel
    the wire brush leaves it ready to clear or paint. sand paper might not get a even finish, that's going to show through paint or clear

9. XJ650SECATAY

XJ650SECATAY Member

moe, that makes sense. i actually have a soda blaster, so i will try that out. i saw jish (on youtube) got his hydro blasted, but he did it with the motor put together, and i have had multiple people tell me that it would be a better idea to take the motor apart to hydro blast, but we have already put it back together with new gaskets so i figured i'll just put the work in and save some money.

polock, i will need to use some aircraft stripper too on some left over paint. did the wire brush leave scratches at all?

10. XJ650SECATAY

XJ650SECATAY Member

huntchuks, i kind of figured. i guess i'll just go for it then! thank you for your reply.

11. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

kind of a satin finish, sandpaper is kind of drastic, try a wire wheel about 5 inch dia. on a drill

12. XJ650SECATAY

XJ650SECATAY Member

this is what i got so far with soda blaster and wire wheel! thanks for the suggestions!!

Attached Files:

Franz, k-moe and Rusty81 like this.
  13. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Looks good. Now you just need a can of semichrome and a rag ;):p