1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

How to clean the electronics?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by scoobydew, Aug 23, 2020.

1. scoobydew

scoobydew Member

Hey guys! Just got an XJ750. Previous owner had trouble keeping the bike at idle without stall when choke is off so I decided to take out the carbs but as I was doing so I noticed the bike was just dirty, rusty and in need of some cleaning. I tore it completely apart. Just took out the electronics and I see the little connectors/plugs got some dirt in em. And the electric tape the previous owner wrapped all the wires in is also dirty. Just some dust and dirt, nothing serious. Any ideas how I could clean em? Would just water do? Or WD-40? Or some vinegar? If I clean them with that will it destroy anything? It's an old bike so I'm afraid of destroying anything I can't easily order from Partzilla like on my DRZ

20200822_194028.jpg

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

That "electrical tape" is the factory wrapping on the wiring loom. Leave it in place. No use cleaning it. You can't see it and it'll get dirty again within a few rides.

The connectors should be cleaned with electrical contact cleaner, and then covered with dialectric grease before reassembly to prevent future corrosion.

As for the carbs:
    Read thoroughly before working on them. Parts off of Ebay are rarely correct. Contact @chacal to get the correct kits.

THE SECRET LIFE OF CARBURETORS

Inside your Carbs

IN THE CHURCH OF CLEAN

Replacing your Hitachi throttle shaft seals

Setting the fuel levels

You should also read The Information Overload Hour to get familliar with your machine.

3. scoobydew

scoobydew Member

Thanks so much man! I appreciate it! I still gotta pull out the engine and clean it up. So it'll be a while until we see if my carb cleaning did the trick. When I finish it (prob by end of year...) then I'll be sure to post!

4. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

none of the above, water and vinegar wick into the wire and can cause trouble. throw that WD40 away.
    put some of this in the plugs and their good, just about forever
    https://www.amazon.com/Burndy-P8A-Oxide-Inhibiting-Compounds-Container/dp/B008KLX2RY
    wipe the wires with a little bit of kerosene on a rag and they get clean and the color comes back

k-moe and scoobydew like this.
  5. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Hey now...WD-40 is perfect for getting rid of moisture when it gets into places that it should not be. Tastes good too.

Greaseball88 likes this.