1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

1983 XJ900

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by XJ Nine Hundred, Jul 21, 2020.

1. XJ Nine Hundred

XJ Nine Hundred Member

Hello XJ riders...

I pulled my XJ900 out of storage recently. (i`m retired and i was bored...lol) I had to go thru the carbs, they were pretty gummed up, the bike had sat for many many years in the back of my garage. Over the years of owning the bike, my bike has a Jardine 4into1 header, oval K&N air filter pods on it. (i do still have every one of the original parts for the bike)

What i need to know is, is what jets do you think this bike should be running in it with the header and pods. At this time, i had misplaced all my notes on the bike, that had all my jetting information in it. Been 30+yrs since i wrote any notes down about the bike. Hard to believe how many decades i`ve owned this beautiful bike. I`m ashamed to have let it sit for so many years, but it still look almost new.

I`m still in search of a carb kit package of some sort. Is there any place that you fella`s recommend buying the carb kit(s)? I`ve searched ebay for awhile, but no luck there. I dont have much faith in ebayer`s much anymore either. I see stuff on there for 1983 XJ900`s, but when you look at what they`re selling, you just KNOW that its not the right parts.

I`d like to buy new jets for the carbs, but if i cant find what i need, i guess i`ll have to try to clean up what i got. What i am really desperate for, is the bowl gaskets. I bought a kit on ebay the other day just to get what i hope, are the correct gaskets and a few of the orings in the kit(s). The kit was for the newer 85 to 90 XJ900 (Diversion?), but the bowl gaskets looked right. The tiny metal washers in the kit for the pilot`s look right, but who knows until the kit gets here. Supposed to arrive this coming friday sometime.

Anyway, thanks for your time folks. Maybe someone may be able to get me in the right direction to get this ole gal runnin good again.

XJ NineHundred ;)

Bob C likes this.
  2. rocs82650

rocs82650 Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard. There's a write-up in "The Information Overload" thread regarding pod filters and possible jet sizes on xj bikes. Click on the engine banner in the upper right corner. Hope this helps.

Gary H.

XJ Nine Hundred and Rusty81 like this.
  3. XJ Nine Hundred

XJ Nine Hundred Member

Thanks Gary, i`ll check it out ;)
    Nice site guys. Never knew it existed! Just happened across it in a search for carb information.

Well, i took your advice, went and checked it out... wowwwwwwwwww, "Overload" is right, thats way to much for me to take in. It would take me forever going thru all thats there just to find what little i`m looking for.

Thanks anyways though ;)

Last edited: Jul 22, 2020
  4. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

Allways nice to see an old bike being resurrected - please post some pics? Without doubt if you're in the States your one stop shop is the place under the xj4ever icon in the top right corner - ebay sellers are just that, they will sell you what they have, not what you need necessarily.
    Did I mention pics?

XJ Nine Hundred likes this.
  5. JCH

JCH Active Member

Len at XJ bikes will have what you need,and yes would also like to see some photos too,switch over to non ethanol fuel if you can.

6. XJ Nine Hundred

XJ Nine Hundred Member

Thank you! I might post some pics later at some point after i get the bike all back together.
    I was very happy to see when i unboxed it, the bike still looked really good when i pulled it out of storage.
    I put a new battery in it, it started right up! But the carbs were gummed up from sitting for so long. Just unable to find the right carb kit(s) at the moment.
    As of right now, i`ve got the carbs all apart sitting on my bench.

I do have a ton of other brand new parts in OEM boxes i had bought up over the years, including what Japan had left in their warehouse for the 83 XJ900.
    New: Gas tank, fenders, seat, fairing, windscreen, dash, stripe kit, etc etc etc. Plenty enough OEM parts to completely restore another 83 XJ900 easily.

You`re 100% right about ebay. They are discouraging. I`ve gotten screwed over one to many times with those hackers.

Yes, i`m in the states. Pennsylvania.

Yes, you mentioned pics...lol

7. XJ Nine Hundred

XJ Nine Hundred Member

Non ethanol is all i run in all my bikes.

I looked into that link at the top right of this page, brain overload...lol... didnt know how to find what i was looking for. Far to much information to read and look thru just to see if i can find a compete XJ900 carb kit.
    And if i did find it there (which i did not find it), how the hell do you even contact them to buy the parts (?)

Is there a website that i can go to and can actually type in a search for the parts i need without having to paw thru a gazillion stories and part numbers and how to`s?
    Anything i saw in there was jumping from bike to bike, engine to engine, model to model. Basically mass chaos is what i`m seeing in there.
    Everything is all over the place in there, no sub group separation per model, just one big thread all mashed together.
    I see all the part numbers, most dont even seem to be yamaha, hell i dont even know what i`m looking at in there.

8. JCH

JCH Active Member

Yup,that's what my thought was the first time i read it too,it take's a while to get use to alright, but again it is the best show in town for these Bikes.
    What i recommend is that you e-mail Len at XJ BIKES4EVER and tell him what your looking for and he will get back to you or leave you number and have him call you if you feel more comfortable with that.

Note, he seems a bit busy so it may take a bit for him to get back to you.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2020
    XJ Nine Hundred and rocs82650 like this.
  9. XJ Nine Hundred

XJ Nine Hundred Member

I will definitely try that for sure. Its the only choice i have right now to get this bike running again. Yes, i agree too, it is alot to go thru trying to find what i need in there, but i will have to say, some of it has been very interesting! At first, i was just overwhelmed at everything i saw, but your right, a little time, deep breath`s, read my way thru it all...lol. I`ve been copy/pasting the important stuff too. That way i can go back later and find what i want alot faster than going thru that thread again. Sometimes to much information, when jammed all together like it is in there, dosent really help when you need to know things quickly. But i get it... it is a WEALTH of VERY GOOD information in there!!! Kudo`s to those who contributed to it!!!

10. XJ Nine Hundred

XJ Nine Hundred Member

I dont know if i had mentioned it, but i had a buggered up pilot mixture screw. I got it out by drilling a hole down into head of the mixture screw, then i tapped a T8 torx bit into the screw, turned it right out.

I did find a new pilot mixture screw on ebay, it arrived yesterday, it is the correct one and fits perfectly. Now we`ll see how this carb kit works... thats suppose to be here friday. Wish me luck!

11. XJ Nine Hundred

XJ Nine Hundred Member

Carb kits arrived... finished cleaning the carbs, going back together sunday afternoon hopefully.

12. cds1984

cds1984 Active Member

XJ Nine Hundred... Great to read/see you are reviving the bike that you've kept for so long.
    These XJs are just... damn good. Let's face it :)
    Len is the man for bits in the US, postage kills us a bit in Australia but... what are you gonna do.

13. XJ Nine Hundred

XJ Nine Hundred Member

Thank you Sir!
    Just a quick update. I got the bike all back together and it runs like a dream. It runs and rides sooooooo smooth.

k-moe likes this.
  14. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

XJ nine hundred, I’m going to be contacting you via private message, so watch your inbox...... I’d like to get your 900 onto the 900rk registry.

dave Fox
    Host-Central NY Carb Clinic
    Registrar-xj900rk SECA Database for USA units

15. hogfiddles

Btw, I grew up in the Poconos....East Stroudsburg area.

16. XJ Nine Hundred

XJ Nine Hundred Member

Beautiful area... been there a few times

17. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

Who's song was that in "way down in the poconos"

18. hogfiddles

You mean ‘Kokomo’? Lol

19. Andrew W Gleason

Andrew W Gleason New Member

If you would ever like to sell the extra windscreen you have id love to take it off your hands. For the life of me i cannot find one for mine. Happy riding.

20. hogfiddles

PM’d on the fairing