1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Help Needed Getting Left Blinker to Flash on a XJ1100

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by 3BadBirds, Aug 31, 2020.

1. 3BadBirds

3BadBirds Member

The left blinker on my XJ1100 is giving me problems. Sometimes it works fine but lately it just lights with no blinking. I know the relay is fine because the right blinker works perfectly. I’m also pretty sure both bulbs are good because it does work on occasion and when it does they light fine at full strength. I’ve already done a cursory look at the wiring and couldn’t find any obvious problems.

Does this sound like something that a bad switch could cause? My only clue is that when the left blinker is NOT flashing the front bulb is dimmer than the rear. It will still flash, however, if I switch my hazards on – just not as bright as the other three indicators.

Any suggestions or insights would be greatly appreciated!

Thx!!

2. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

Try taking the bulbs out and clean the bulb and the socket, sometimes corrosion builds up there.

3BadBirds and k-moe like this.
  3. 3BadBirds

3BadBirds Member

I've actually replaced the front bulb that is sometimes dim but that didn't seem to help.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Last edited: Sep 1, 2020
  4. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

On my xj550 you need to be sure to use 27w, not lower wattage, or the turn signal won't blink. You mention the bulb is dimmer. Could it be a smaller bulb?

Also, sometimes when my battery is in the "end of life" stage and weak, the flashers don't work.

3BadBirds likes this.
  5. 3BadBirds

3BadBirds Member

It's the same bulb and as I mentioned, it sometimes works fine. From what you and Simmy are saying it appears as if I'm not always getting enough voltage to this particular socket in other to trigger the flasher relay. I guess as long as this bulb is dim I can't expect it to flash. I'll double check the socket and take some readings. Must be a bad connection somewhere...

Thx!!!

6. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

But are all the bulbs 27 Watt?
    The stock flasher will not work correctly (reliably) with 24 Watt bulbs.

3BadBirds likes this.
  7. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

replace the bulbs. contacts dimple in loses solid contact clean holder sides to ensure ground.
    when bulbs get old they will still light up but not work correctly in system.

next would be to look inside the control and see if the wire has come loose on the little board with 3 wires on it may need to be resoldered

3BadBirds and k-moe like this.
  8. 3BadBirds

3BadBirds Member

I'll switch the bulbs from the right / working side to see if that makes a difference but I'm pretty sure I have the original 27w ones in there.

I originally thought the problem was in the switch because I sprayed it once with contact cleaner (still assembled but shot through the switch "gaps") and it seemed to fix the problem temporarily. Chalked it up to corrosion on the switch contacts but perhaps the problem lies elsewhere.

I'll do some more troubleshooting and report back. Thanks for all the help and encouragement!

k-moe likes this.
  9. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

while your in there, put some grease on the base of the bulb. it stops any little vibrations that ware on the contacts and keeps them from corroding
    cut loose for some new ones

k-moe likes this.
  10. 3BadBirds

3BadBirds Member

This is my third Maxim so I'm on a short leash as far as expenses (and the wife's tolerance) are concerned.... lol

XJ550H likes this.
  11. 3BadBirds

3BadBirds Member

Turned out to be something simple for a change - externally grounded the blinker bulb and she sprang to life. I found a bunch of corrosion on the inside of the socket that I must have missed when I replaced the bulb. I cleaned it up with my dremel, generously greased her up, and she is fine now.

I actually had a replacement from my XJ650 parts pile but these only had two leads whilst the XJ1100 had three. I was too lazy to figure it out. Maybe something to do with the hazard lights that are only on the XJ1100.....

k-moe and Franz like this.