1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

How to remove rotor and cylinder studs on xj750 seca '82?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by scoobydew, Aug 30, 2020.

Tags:
  1. scoobydew

scoobydew Member

I've been following the xj750 seca Haynes manual and to remove the rotor it says i need some rotor puller, an rotor attachment and a rotor holder. The first two are essential the book says. Is this really the only way? I'm trying to remove my rotor and I'm trying to remove the driveshaft so I can lift the engine from the bike.
    [​IMG]

And does anyone have any ideas on how to remove these studs? Some of them came loose when I took off the head but some are so gunked up on there I'm not sure how I should proceed. I usually use two nuts to get out a stud. I dunno the threads for these to buy to nuts to match though

[​IMG]

2. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

https://www.xjcd.org/node/84

Items 9, 10 and 11. But there is an alternative way.

I used a bolt out of a set of Silverline nut splitters the 15mm to 22mm one in the link below worked perfect. Just be careful as the end of the shaft can get damaged put some grease on the end of the nut splitter bolt. If your clutch plates are still in the clutch and driveshaft is connected you can hold the rotor by putting the bike in gear and get an assistant to press the rear brake pedal.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=Silverline+PC70+Nut+Splitter+Set+2-15mm/15-22mm+-+2-Piece+Set&ref=nb_sb_noss, Perhaps you can get a similar set as this.

And watch your cam chain (anytime you rotate the crank) it can get jammed between the case and the crank sprocket.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2020
  3. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

+1
    The Haynes manual specifically states, "Borrow a foot..."

4. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

You told me that lol.

5. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Well-Known Member

The thread size for rotor is 18mm
    Cat or finning dealer will have one.
    Honda tool fits just about anything. I spin it in and whack it with dead blow hammer and it pops right off.
    Bolt 18 mm
    Stud wrench
    Any reason you want to pull the studs?

Attached Files:

Franz likes this.
  6. scoobydew

scoobydew Member

Hmmm... Yamaha has some picture of a DIY bar than hooks up to the cross joint. They poked two holes through a metal sheet and tighten it down with bolts and nuts. I guess that's how they hold it down while taking off the center bolt. but.... Will an impact wrench work? I did what Yamaha suggest, to gear it up, have someone press down on rear brake but no dice. That holder tool... I dunno it I can just buy a universal one or if it has to be specifically for this bike.

Complete tear down with new parts. I'm tired of spending a day on a handful of studs cause they're caked up and a pain to get out.

7. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

I own a Yamaha holder tool and l haven't heard of a universal one or tried an impact wrench unfortunately.

scoobydew likes this.
  8. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

the center of the shaft should have a little hole in it, that's for a pin or ball to go in when a puller is used, it keeps the threads from getting messed up and makes the puller bolt easier to tighten
    (less surface drag) stick a BB or ball bearing ball in it with some bubble gum or something. now tighten the bolt and smack the wrench with a board or little hammer a few times
    if it didn't pop off use that little hammer and hit the bolt head, still stuck, use the impact gun. sometimes when they pop, they really pop hard, be ready

Franz and scoobydew like this.
  9. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

15991274130286810581166807706865.jpg 15991272254957665904609037683325.jpg

Rotor holder.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
  10. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

11. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Rotor Locking Tool.jpg

12. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Looks like you figured it out? The 550 uses the same or a similar tool, there is a picture of the tool in the manual as well as a picture of it in use but the photo is so small it is impossible to discern. Interesting.

13. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Yes so easy to torque the bolt up with the locking tool on. Yamaha part number 90890-04043.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2020
    scoobydew likes this.
  14. scoobydew

scoobydew Member

I ordered an impact wrench. We'll see if it does the job. If not I'll get that rotor holding tool as well.

Franz likes this.
  15. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

I find impact wrenches are fine for removing stuff, but you can't torque anything up with them.

Franz likes this.
  16. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Impact wrenches are great. I don't have one and it would need to be electric anyway as I don't have a compressor. Clarke make a 450Nm one I might get one of those.

17. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Well, shouldn't anyway. There isn't anything on an XJ that an 18" or 24" breaker bar won't make short work of, so an impact wrench is more of a luxury.

Torque wrenches for re-assembly are an absolute must, however. Japanese aluminum apparently includes a butter component in its alloy and we have a lot of steel screws threading into it.

18. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Complete tear down with new parts. I'm tired of spending a day on a handful of studs cause they're caked up and a pain to get out.[/QUOTE]

I cleaned mine up with steel wool and emery cloth. The studs that are exposed to the road (they can be seen through the fins with the engine assembled) had sheathing on them to keep them clean but I had difficulty getting the cylinders off the studs because of this. So I have not replaced the sheathing on the rebuild.