1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Could this throw off the cam timing?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by eigenseca, Sep 6, 2020.

1. eigenseca

eigenseca Member

A few months ago I started my starter clutch surgery on a Maxim 750, spent most of my time waiting on parts to arrive through the mail. I have the crank still in the case with the whole top end still in there. In my attempt to remove the old starter chain guide, a friend decided to pull up on the crankshaft to see if it would slightly lift up to give me some clearance. When he did this I saw that the pistons moved a little bit. I suggested to him that it could throw the timing off if the pistons had moved positions but the cams hadn't moved at all. He said it wouldn't. He is more knowledgeable about engines and what not but I don't believe him. What do y'all think?
    NOTE: The image isn't representative of the state of the engine when this took place, I just posted it to give perspective on what all was still attached to the crankshaft. The starter clutch and input shaft were removed when this happened.

IMG_20200426_155234 (1).jpg

2. Mezzmo

Mezzmo Active Member

Hi Mate,
    The timing will be impacted if the cam chain moves a tooth or more on the crank or on the camshafts. I suggest you put the crank at TDC using the timing mark under the side cover and then check the cam timing by removing the cam cover to see they are in the right spot when the crank is at TDC.

My rebuild video might help you.

3. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

I stripped the top end of the motor. I had thought about doing what your friend suggested and then decided not to. Even if the cams do not move if the crank is put back and there is a slight amount of slack in the non tensioner side you don't want that. Check the timing marks and post pictures and we can double check them.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
  4. eigenseca

eigenseca Member

Thanks for the video! Something I was actually looking for the other day.

Thank you, will defiently be checking them once I get everything back together(still waiting on a few more parts). I'll post an update when that time comes.

Franz likes this.
  5. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Think about it this way. To lift the crankshaft up and assuming the cams didn't turn you would have to rotate the crank slightly because the non tensioner side of the chain run would be tight. The crankshaft would have to be turned slightly. Chances are the cams have moved a bit.

Of course with the bottom crankcase half off the tensioner chain guide is not in it's recess which would provide some chain slack.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
    eigenseca likes this.
  6. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

where do you get your parts?

7. eigenseca

eigenseca Member

All over the place. eBay, chacal, cycle parts nation. Cycle parts nation took about 2.5 months to get me parts, I cut them some slack due to current events and possible supplier delays. I'm placing my final order with chacal as we speak.