1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

why wont my 83 xj750 maxim go into nuetral?!

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Allison Cameron, Sep 16, 2020.

1. Allison Cameron

Allison Cameron New Member

like... at all?! Its not just difficult, it just skips past it entirly....i can go into every other position, but not neutral sk my bike wont start, also, i dont have a kill switch or push start so i been having to cross the solenoid, how long before thats gunna burn it up?

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

1. Make sure that the clutch cable is adjusted properly. Covered here:CLUTCHES 101-Part 1: the 400/550/600s with pics

2. Shift down to first, then a half-shift up into neutral. Some find it easier to do a half-shift down from second.

3. You better have a kill switch or you're asking for trouble down the road. Did you do the electrical changes, or did you by it that way?

3. Allison Cameron

Thank you, well, my starter button stopped working so i had another starter button from another bike was just gunna rebuild but somewhere along the way, my boyfriend had it entirly taken apart and lost a couple key components .... then wound up having to take it back apart for another bike or somthing.... i blame it on boyfriend.... im learning as i go and looking back, im like "wtf?!" Feeling dumb. Now i cant find any parts or similar buttons and switches at the salvage yard or nothing

4. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

Kmoe is right - your going to end up in a heap on the floor if you're using this as it is (I hope not?).
    You have two issues to fix - the starter button and inhibit is the easy one. I'm not so sure about neutral selection - does the light work? If not fix it, almost impossible to find neutral without it. I find you have to be quite firm on going down to 1st, then gently back up, but you may have an internal issue if this doesn't work.
    Edit to add, new starter button kits are available, in the States Mr Chacal is your guy, not worth looking in scrap yards. Click the icon on the top rh of this page.

5. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

K-Moe was right about the clutch as well; the answer to your original question is: Most likely your clutch is dragging. And more than likely, proper adjustment (and possibly lubrication) of the clutch cable is all that will be required to fix it.

As for your absent RH handlebar switch pod, a scrap yard or eBay part would likely need to be rebuilt. I second the recommendation to contact XJ4Ever. A proper starter button is always a plus on a bike with no kick start option.

6. Allison Cameron

Could my lack of kill switch/starter button be ae reason it wont start?

7. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

if the red/white wires are not connected at the main harness/controll connector that would be a good reason why. voltage runs from ignition fuse to run/kill switch then goes to the ignition system.

the controls for the 750 maxims are bike unique to the maxim.
    do you have a manual or wiring diagram?

with key on measure voltage of red/white wire on tci to see if your kill/run switch was "properly bypasses.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
  8. XJ550H

finding neutral as suggested lube clutch cable ect. also lube the shifter linkage.
    I have a hard time finding neutral on mine. it is a very small less than half shift to find it . if i am parked I just reach down and use my hand . try that and you will get a better feel for how small the shift movement is.

9. XJ550H

the starter button in a 750 maxim also is the connection for headlight , that is why it has no headlight relay.
    a little difficult to clean . I use electronic contact spray and q tips , linen table napkin..

in the end if you have the control minus the starter button you can hook a push button to the L/w blue white wire and to ground as a starter button

10. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Well-Known Member

I think I have a right hand switch assembly for a 750 maxim

11. k-moe

email info@xj4ever if you need other parts too. Most of what other sellers offer aren't correct for any particular model of XJ, and don't quite fit right (or work correctly).
    There's nothing more frustrating to me than having to replace a new part with another new part.

12. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

I had to find neutral simply because my neutral switch was not working before the rebuild. You get a feel for it quite quickly. Not like my MZ much less precise than an XJ but it's not the same quality. XJ 550 is right when l was young l tried a friends Honda 250 Dream first Japanese bike l rode and it was so slight a movement on the gear pedal compared to the MZ.

13. k-moe

Which model MZ? I'm curious because a few of their modern(ish) machines use Yamaha engines.

One thing that I miss about my baby Ninja is the positive neutral finder. But finding neutral on most bikes becomes fairly easy with enough practice, if the mechanicals are in adjustment.

14. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

It was a TS 150cc k-moe which I got some joking comments from my friends about because they had cool Japanese bikes. Those Barum tyres were lethal in the wet. The MZ Baghira had a Yamaha engine and MZ also had a 1000cc machine. Still that old two stroke smoker got me to work and back, good times.